Question for domestic installers

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - I am preparing for my NICEIC DI assessment and have a question regarding the filling out of domestic installers' electrical installation certificates. Ideally, I am looking for an answer from those sparks who already use these forms (eg form DCM2).

Under 'Supply Characteristics', nominal current rating of primary supply overcurrent protective device is simply the value of the supplier's cut-out fuse. No problem there.

Under 'Particulars of Installation at the Origin, Maximum demand (load)' I understand that this is the consumer unit total load with diversity taken into account (I also understand that there is more than one way to apply diversity, according to Appendix 1 of OSG).

However, in the real world, this second quantity might easily be higher than the first, with no detrimental effect on the running of the installation. For instance, you could have a 60A main cut-out, yet have a maximum demand of over 100A (1 x 32A ring final, 1x20A radial final, 1x16A immersion, 1x40A shower, 2x6A lighting). This maximum demand would, in reality, never reach that figure: testing above installation with everything running full-tilt, I measured 73A being drawn at the origin, using a clamp meter. I believe the 60A HBC fuse can easily take this load, especially for short durations).

Ideally, the suppliers' cut-out would be upgraded, at least to 80A, but this may not be easily achieved, dependent on rating of incoming supply cable, cost, etc.

So, back to my question to self-certifying sparks out there: is it acceptable for the figures for maximum demand to exceed the rating of the supply cut-out when filling in the EIC?

Many thanks - great forum, by the way guys!

Sponsored Links
homespark said:
So, back to my question to self-certifying sparks out there: is it acceptable for the figures for maximum demand to exceed the rating of the supply cut-out when filling in the EIC?

For all the reasons you've mentioned you usually have no choice. Applying the diversity rules nearly always puts you way over the top. So, clamping is the way to go and record what you actually measure. You won't get taken to task over this at your assessment, unless you've been responsible for increasing the load unreasonably.

Sponsored Links
Sorry, if I can just add that, from what you're saying, the addition of an electric shower in a small flat is not unreasonable, but perhaps installing welding equipment, a commercial laundry or kitchen would be :) ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back