question on a quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks

Have just had some guys in to quote for plasterboarding a couple of walls in my bathroom. I intend to tank the walls before tiling as the walls will be where my new shower is going.

My question is, the chaps recommended putting a skim over the boards as well, is that necessary? Everything i have read on here suggests that they should be able to give a good enough (flat and square) surface and that tiling straight on should be no problem. Any thoughts? Whilst i want to get a good job done i am keen to avoid additional cost where possible.

Thanks in advance
Andrew

Sponsored Links
I always skim boards (except Aquapanel) before tiling. It helps keep moisture out of the boards (although your tanking so that shouldn't be a problem) + if not tiling all the wall, it will leave you with a nice plastered finish to paint up to the tiled area.

tiling all the wall and tanking, so should be ok, but thanks for your thoughts. Would you expect a significant difference in cost for skim / no skim?

tiling all the wall and tanking, so should be ok, but thanks for your thoughts. Would you expect a significant difference in cost for skim / no skim?
Bathroom skim; if it’s the usual 3 x 2m sort of size, it’s no more than a days work at whatever rate you can get a decent plasterer for. Expect £160 - £200/day depending on where you live but I don’t know how affluent Sussex is considered to be; I live in the backward, backwoods of Norfolk!; & that’s a single handed job not x 2 which really isn’t necessary on a job that size! If “dry lining blokes” are doing the skim, fine but make sure you know how much extra they are going to charge. Also make sure at least one of them can actually plaster before you let them loose; many say they can but are just trying to learn/practice & the finish may then be rather less than desirable. It goes without saying, don’t pay everything up front just in case!

Sponsored Links
thanks for your thoughts. They guys have boarding / skimming work for me before, but on a larger scale, so i'm satisfied with their work. I'll be going forward without the skim.

Thanks again.
A

You need to consider the weight of the tiles. Plasterboard with a skim coat can take less weight than plasterboard alone.

I used the lightweight cement faced boards by Wedi for my shower area. The rest of the bathroom was done in moisture resistant plasterboard(green).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back