Question on pre-commencement conditions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good morning all,

Currently in a situation whereby I need to try and understand some pre-commencement planning conditions and the way that they have been stipulated as required (and how they are handled) by the planning inspector (at the point of appeal to previously rejected planning permission). For a number of reasons I won't go into the details of where this is, nor the parties involved. But if there are any planning experts who can provide some interpretation what the following could mean then that would be really helpful for context. I won't hold you to anything that you suggest of course.

This excerpt is from the decision notice and written by the planning inspectorate. In particular I'd be interested to understand whether this should dictate to the LPA that they should enforce against any development that takes place prior to discharge of any pre-commencement conditions.

'120. The case for each of the pre-commencement conditions identified reflects the range of sensitivities characteristic of the site. In particular, I find the subject matters to be of sufficient significance such that it would be inappropriate for development to proceed without the certainty arising from the required arrangements.

121. The Framework makes clear that decision-makers should consider whether otherwise unacceptable development could be made acceptable through the use of conditions . For the reasons indicated, I find the scheme would not be acceptable in the absence of the provisions made by the stated conditions.

Conclusion

122. For the above reasons, the appeal is allowed subject to the conditions set out in the attached schedule.'

Many thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Some planning conditions have to be discharged before building work can start -like submission of materials, bricks, tiles etc for approval.

It certainly sounds like the planners want the conditions discharged -in order for the planning permission to be valid

is it a listed building or in a conservation area?

It means the work can go ahead subject to the discharge of the pre-commencement conditions. No work (that is demonstrably related to this permission - and is not ordinary enabling work) can begin until those conditions are discharged to the satisfaction of the LPA. Crucially, a 'material start' cannot be enacted until these items (so-called 'conditions precedent') are complete.

Thank you both for the responses.

To give a bit more information, this is relating to a development where the show homes are open, yet there are at least two very important pre-commencement conditions yet to be discharged. But not listed or in a conservation area.

The LPA are saying (in not quite so many words) that the developers are essentially allowed to start 'at risk' with a view that the conditions will be discharged. An application to discharge one of them has already been rejected. They have already previously issued a temporary stop notice which was upheld but now are pushing back on issuing a further stop notice despite the development contributing to a significant environmental event a couple of weeks ago (I'm choosing my words carefully here!). Which one of the pre-commencement conditions is directly related to.

The wording that I posted above from the planning inspectorate seems to allude to the fact that the circumstances of the pre-commencement conditions are so material to the site that allowing 'at risk' to development should not happen - I think that's the bit that I'm trying to get some clarity around.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
It seems pretty crystal to me. There are pre-commencement conditions and the inspector has confirmed that these should be discharged in the normal way. Are you interpreting it some other way?

It seems pretty crystal to me. There are pre-commencement conditions and the inspector has confirmed that these should be discharged in the normal way. Are you interpreting it some other way?

Thanks John. I think in this case we'd like to think it's pretty crystal but the LPA are interpreting it in some other way!

I guess what I'm not clear about is whether these comments from the inspector are overriding the framework the LPA would normally work to?

OK, that does add a bit but it's still a bit confusing. If the LPA mentions at risk commencement then this seems to conflict with the inspectors comment about it being 'inappropriate for development to proceed'...

But the inspector had sight of the conditions so how has this occured?

Bottom line; the appeal is allowed subject to the conditions set out. So, regardless of the clumsy wording above, the conditions as set out are the key thing.

OK, that does add a bit but it's still a bit confusing. If the LPA mentions at risk commencement then this seems to conflict with the inspectors comment about it being 'inappropriate for development to proceed'...

But the inspector had sight of the conditions so how has this occured?

I think your first paragraph has hit the nail on the head of what we are trying to understand John and what liability then exists with the LPA for not enforcing. The conditions were set out by the inspector as part of the decision is my understanding.

I should be clear that we are not the developer here and are instead a homeowner that have been significantly impacted by an event that (we believe) has occurred because the development is there. And, in particular, because of something that one of the pre-commencement conditions were supposed to protect against (I guess I can probably say actually that the condition is to do with surface water drainage - it was pre-commencement, has been rejected once, still hasn't been discharged and recently torrential rainfall overwhelmed the site and flooded our entire downstairs)

No. Really? On what date does the permission expire (it's the date 3 years from the date of the Planning Inspectors)

I was about to say that in terms of sequels this comment is up there with Police Academy 4 :p But now see that you've followed up with a bit more, so thank you.

Outline planning permission granted at appeal in March 18 by the planning inspector. So is now past the 3 year point

the condition is to do with surface water
I guessed that.

Recourse with the LPA will be a tortuous process with highly uncertain outcome. If the developer has caused flood to your property you should claim from them. If it is found that something they did, or didn't do, caused or contributed to the flood then they would surely be liable. If they are found liable and it is also found that they proceeded recklessly, without having given full regard to the said conditions, then that's when the 'book' comes out.

Aside from your own issue with the site, can the properties be sold? -effectively as things stand they dont have planning permission

and if they cant be sold, thats a huge problem for the developers

If they can be sold does the legality of planning transfer to the buyer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back