Question on Telephone Master Wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here is a photo of the wiring in my telephone junction box at the drop cable end -

telephoneva1.png
[/URL]
[/img]

I think that this wiring is not done to the standard colour scheme. Can anyone tell me -

1. What Terminals on the Master Socket should each Wire currently go to? e.g. White/Green connects to Terminal 2 on the Master Socket etc.
2. What should the be the correct wiring colour scheme if the terminal was re-wired to follow the normal standard?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Thanks, that partially answers my question but not the main part of it.

I'd like to understand what each Position on the Terminal Box connects to.

For example I think that -

Position 1 W/G (on Terminal Box) connects to Input 2 on the Master Socket
Position 2 G/W (on Terminal Box) connects to Input 5 on the Master Socket
Position 3 O/W (on Terminal Box) connects to Input 3 on the Master Socket

Is this correct?

that is a krone box and you should not have these in a residential premises ....this is for business with a couple of lines,,,is this a business or has been??

Sponsored Links
The pic is far too small to be able to see anything, and a wider shot and description of where the cables go would help.

This looks like a DP on the end of the drop wire (the left hand strip being the drop wire), the right hand strip look like an empty strip for jumpering.

that is a krone box and you should not have these in a residential premises ....this is for business with a couple of lines
FFS it's just a plastic junction box with IDC strips in it - you make it sound like some kind of restricted telecommunications apparatus - why shouldn't he have one if he wants?

I see your point! Hopefully this pic should be bigger.

GALLERY]

What I am trying to figure out is if I was wiring everything afresh to a new Master socket which wires should go to which terminals in the Master Socket? I think that the wrong wires have been used previously.

Note that the Drop cable is going into the Left hand terminal, the Blue/White and White/Blue are in the LH terminals in the Terminal Box, and the other wiring (White/Green, Green/White and Orange/White) for both the Master and the Extension socket are going into the RH side.

Jonnyboy - it's in a converted warehouse into residential. If it is meant for Business maybe that explains why the wiring is buggered up!

The quality of the line is terrible and we want to rewire, I don't think that the previous installer used the correct wiring scheme.

If we wanted to wire up just one Master socket what wires would go where in the Krone box?

You can use any colours you like in the junction box, and any colours you like in your phone sockets, and cables with any colour cores you like and it will still work.

You can use any terminals you like in the junction box, and it will still work.

All that matters is that you end up with the correct terminals in each socket connected together (2, 3 & 5).

It would be kind to others though to stick to the colour standards, and (if the terminals in the box aren't numbered) to devise a logical system where you match the positions of the socket terminals.

I don't think I am explaining myself correctly - I want to know what the correct colour sequence of wires should be on the RHS terminal of the Krone box.

The terminals in the Krone box are not numbered so I'd like to find out what coloured wire should be in positions 1,2 and 3 of the RH terminals inside the Krone box.

Then I know that the Blue/White should go to "B" on the Master socket, and White/Blue to the "A" terminal. I need to know then which colours go to Terminals 2,3 and 5 of the faceplate of the Master socket.

Does that make sense?[/b]

... if I was wiring everything afresh to a new Master socket which wires should go to which terminals in the Master Socket?

Very simple. Your incoming line is on the blue/white & white /blue pair on the drop cable. These wires would connect to 2 & 5 on a master and it doesn't matter which way round for a single socket installation. On the new type masters there will be a dedicated pair of terminals for this connection.

Thanks Blondini - that makes sense.

What are the G/W, W/G and O/W for on the RHS set of terminals for then?

I don't think I am explaining myself correctly - I want to know what the correct colour sequence of wires should be on the RHS terminal of the Krone box.

The terminals in the Krone box are not numbered so I'd like to find out what coloured wire should be in positions 1,2 and 3 of the RH terminals inside the Krone box.

Then I know that the Blue/White should go to "B" on the Master socket, and White/Blue to the "A" terminal. I need to know then which colours go to Terminals 2,3 and 5 of the faceplate of the Master socket.

Does that make sense?[/b]
Yes - that makes sense.

What doesn't make sense is why the site I pointed you at, which has a diagram and a table showing which colours should go to which terminals, doesn't make sense to you...

Thanks Blondini - that makes sense.

What are the G/W, W/G and O/W for on the RHS set of terminals for then?

The drop comes into the lhs of the krone box and the bw/wb is connected through to the cable feeding the master. If you open up your master you'll find the the b/w w/b in this cable is connected to A&B. The other colours, will be connected to 2,3,5 and they feed the extension wiring back up the same cable and across to the rhs of the krone box where the same three colours are then connected through to the cable feeding the extn socket. In the extn socket you should find the colours connected to 2,3,5 are the same as in the master.

edit:-
To explain a little further, as others have said, it doesn't really matter what colours are used to connect extension wiring as long as they are the same to each pin throughout. The only exception in your wiring is because a single cable has been used to feed the incoming pair from the krone box to A&B on the master, and the extension wiring back out. There is nothing wrong with this but it is more usual on a domestic installation to find the extension wiring connected directly to the master on a seperate cable feed.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back