question re new floor in new kitchen

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Im replacing my kitchen soon and am putting down the tileLOC laminate tile effect flooring. My question is, should I put the flooring down on the whole floor (i.e under the units), or should I just butt the flooring up to the units?

I had a B&Q bloke round to do the quote and he only quoted for doing the middle, not the whole floor.

Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
i'm in the same dilemma,

it's gonna be a cheaper and quicker to fit taking it up to legs of the units,the tile loc stuff i got in my bathroom is £30 a pack and my kitchen is pretty big too. also if you ever have to get under the floor to access cables or pipes in future then it's gonna a bit less hassle lifting the laminate and boards that way too. make sure that your plinths will cover over the top of the laminate though,
this shouldn't be a problem but you may have to trim an edge off the top of your plinths if the laminate is quite thick when the kitchen gets fitted.

Yep and place same thickness sheet material (like plywood etc) where utilities are placed (washing machine etc) so you don't have to break your back when they need lifting out.

Hi.

But what about where I have free standing appliances, do I take the laminate into the alcoves where the oven and fridge will be? Otherwise I might see an edge.

Thanks
Dan

Sponsored Links
You need to laminate fully under removable appliances and under unit plinths then plane and refit!
As for end pannels and so on just butt the laminate as tight as you can if you dont want to use quadrant bead.

morganog said:
As for end pannels and so on just butt the laminate as tight as you can if you dont want to use quadrant bead.
In kitchens???????
It could be melamine laminated flooring he's using, but even that needs expansion gaps!

Is there a good reason NOT to do the whole floor, apart from cost? I'm thinking that I should just do the whole floor, it will probably only be an extra 2 packs max £60. Is it worth it to do a good job?

other than the cost it would be easier to take up if required. to be honest i dont see the need to tile onder the units if ur putting plinths under them. i would completely tile the rest of the floor though, including under the appliances.

danlightbulb said:
Is there a good reason NOT to do the whole floor, apart from cost? I'm thinking that I should just do the whole floor, it will probably only be an extra 2 packs max £60. Is it worth it to do a good job?
Imagine all the cupboards etc resting on the new floor. And then a leak happens: how do you remove the whole floor without having to rip out the all kitchen units?

Thats a good point about the leak, but do you mean an above ground leak or a below ground leak? I have no pipes in the floor.

Is it not more fidley however to cut the floor in and out of alcoves when it would be easier to lay a square floor across the whole kitchen before I fit the new units.

Also, where the ends of the units are for the alcoves I would have to use more of the edging strip and fit the floor exactly onto the exterior corners because the plynth doesn't cover the ends of the units.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back