Question regarding loft extension.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone.
My wife and I are looking at options to extend our property, and a loft extension seems to be the best bet.
We had a well known, respected local lofter come round to give us a quote, and he confirmed our suspicions that there wasn't enough headroom in the loft.
He did suggest that he could lower the ceiling which would give more room to get the required 2 metres in the loft.
He measured from floor on the first floor to highest point of the roof, which was 4.51 metres.
he said he would need 20 cm for the new ceiling/floor leaving us 2.31 metres to play with.
would a ceiling height of 2.2 metres on the first floor and 2.1 metres in the loft extension be sufficient, or would it seem very cramped?
We have skeelings (if that's how you spell it ) on the firt floor all round the inside so the new ceiling height would come down to approx where there skeeling ends.
Do you guys thing this is a good option or would i feel to cramped, what is normal ceiling height?
Thanks all

Sponsored Links
Its all relative I guess I am nearly 6' and my kitchen ceiling is 2.3m and it seems ok to me.

I could live with 2.2. Some people who view your house will be put off but others won't mind. Get a good designer (architectural technician) to get you some proper drawings together.

Sponsored Links
As above it's really subjective; at 197cm I would never buy a house with ceilings that low. Most people aren't that tall.

Average ceiling height is 2.4, I assume (based on board sizes).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back