Raising roof of extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all!

I recently moved into a flat (Victorian conversion) in NW London (Zone 2). I'm on the upper ground floor. There's a flat on a floor below, and 2 flats/floors above.

Ceilings throughout are nice and high (~3.2m). The kitchen is a smallish, I think quite old, extension (just under 15 square metres). For some reason, they left the ceiling height lower than it could be (probably about 40-50cm) - it's 2.35m. I'm planning on knocking through an internal wall to enlarge the kitchen, but the extended bit would have the 3.2m ceiling height. Ideally, I'd like to raise the ceiling/roof height of the existing extension by, say 40cm, to give a much nicer, more open feel to it (especially as it has great views over communal gardens). So 2 questions:

1) The big one, cost: I had a builder round who said that the cost of a new roof would be ~£300/sqm, so about £1,500 in my case. But the bigger cost would be building up the side walls. So as a rough ballpark (without having looked in proper detail), he said something in the region of £15k. Appreciate it's hard without much info, but does anyone have any experience of this, any ideas of whether that sounds like a realistic number?

2) Building regs - I doubt the existing walls of the extension meet current building regs. If I were to add to the height (and have the new bit comply with new regs), would I be made to "refurbish" the existing walls to comply as well (which I guess would be a big expense) or could I leave them as is?

Any advice/suggestions massively appreciated!

Sponsored Links
The kitchen is a smallish, I think quite old, extension (just under 15 square metres).

1) The big one, cost: I had a builder round who said that the cost of a new roof would be ~£300/sqm, so about £1,500 in my case.
£300m² x 15 square metres is £4500. This still sounds lean for an entirely new roof including timbers. £1500 might buy you the scaffold hire.

But the bigger cost would be building up the side walls. So as a rough ballpark (without having looked in proper detail), he said something in the region of £15k.
£1500 to put a new roof on and £15000 just to build the walls up!:confused:
I think there are some wires crossed here.

2) Building regs - I doubt the existing walls of the extension meet current building regs. If I were to add to the height (and have the new bit comply with new regs), would I be made to "refurbish" the existing walls to comply as well (which I guess would be a big expense) or could I leave them as is?
Unless a certain percentage of the walls are affected then reg's should not apply, though they will apply to the roof. So might PP.

Hi Noseall, thanks for the reply!

Sorry, should have checked - £1,500 was a mistype, wrong button, I meant £4,500 as you say. To clarify, the builder was saying £15k for everything. Thanks!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back