Raising roof of flat roof extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 70s flat roof extension with brick inner and Bradstone outer skin. It has very low ceiling height which I want to improve by adding say a 2-3 brick courses or one course of conrete blocks. Atop this will be a new warm roof. The new masonry will be hidden by a deeper fascia. Location and aspect of the extension mean that the aesthetics of a deep fascia are not a concern.

The existing roof joists rest directly (at right angles) on a wooden window frame about 2.4m wide. This will be replaced by uPVC. Original plan is to put a catnic style lintel across the window opening. The problem is that, in the midst of the covid-19 lockdown, I cannot find anywhere that is open, has stock and can deliver (south-east Warks), but have plenty of time on my hands.

I can find timber suppliers still operating, so would a timber lintel be a viable option?

Would it be feasible to create the entire height addition in timber as part of the new roof construction?

Sponsored Links
OP,
For what you are trying to achieve you will have inconvenience and expense that dont seem to be justified in terms of your proposal?
At first glance at your post I'd suggest why not consider demolition, and re-build with a pitched roof if possible?

I omitted to say it's a bungalow. Marrying a pitched roof to the existing roof is a whole new level of pain. Similarly, demolishing and rebuilding is a lot more work.

I am happy with the expense for what I am trying to achieve. The inconvenience is current (low ceiling height) and will be solved by what I want to do.

Sponsored Links
OP,
you can do more or less anything in the building line to existing buildings - if you wish to pay for it.
In your case, you wil be running a raised extension flat roof back into a bungalow, presumably, pitched roof.
How the roof is raised is almost irrelevant - my point was that the comparative costs of re-modelling or re-building are usually worth considering.
fwiw: at house sale time buyers and surveyors dont like the unusual.

Would it be feasible to create the entire height addition in timber as part of the new roof construction?
The first floor flat roof extension below, was added onto an existing ground floor flattie. It was going to be cladded so I suggested building the whole thing in stud etc but the customer actually wanted it built in matching brick, just in case any future owners wanted to remove the cladding.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back