Vaulted ROOF or ceiling for extension ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am looking to build an extension to my bungalow and I'm putting plans together now.

I'm looking at a 10m x 7.6m extension to house a living room and kitchen, and have a draft floorplan.

Kitchen/Diner 5.5m x 7.3m
Living 4m x 7.3m

The existing 1960s building has regular 8ft ceilings with loft space above.

I was initially looking to have similar ceilings in the extension, but I am considering having a vaulted roof with roof lights instead.

What would be the pros and cons of this approach. In particular would the build costs be significantly different ?

All doors and windows to the extension would be on the non gable walls, ie those at eaves height , so there would be no opportunity for ridge height glazing.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I think the build will be slightly different, but shouldn't add significant cost (apart from the roof lights)

I converted an extension to vaulted and the bco wanted some additional strapping but apart from that it was fairly straightforward

Significant extra cost I’d say, ridge beam if it’s a duo pitch, insulation more expensive, larger timbers can cost more than trusses. By far a nicer end result tho

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back