1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Vaulted ROOF or ceiling for extension ?

Discussion in 'Building' started by davidnow, 23 Oct 2020.

1. davidnow

davidnow

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Hi,
    I am looking to build an extension to my bungalow and I'm putting plans together now.

I'm looking at a 10m x 7.6m extension to house a living room and kitchen, and have a draft floorplan.

Kitchen/Diner 5.5m x 7.3m
    Living 4m x 7.3m

The existing 1960s building has regular 8ft ceilings with loft space above.

I was initially looking to have similar ceilings in the extension, but I am considering having a vaulted roof with roof lights instead.

What would be the pros and cons of this approach. In particular would the build costs be significantly different ?

All doors and windows to the extension would be on the non gable walls, ie those at eaves height , so there would be no opportunity for ridge height glazing.

Any comments welcome.

Thanks

2. Sponsored Links
  3. mikeey84

mikeey84

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I think the build will be slightly different, but shouldn't add significant cost (apart from the roof lights)

I converted an extension to vaulted and the bco wanted some additional strapping but apart from that it was fairly straightforward

4. 23vc

23vc

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    Significant extra cost I’d say, ridge beam if it’s a duo pitch, insulation more expensive, larger timbers can cost more than trusses. By far a nicer end result tho