Question - Roofing Quote

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Apologies for the newbie question - I have just bought a house and I have a few problems with my roof which I have listed below:

1. CHIMNEY STACKS - Front Stack
- At the junction with the roof coverings heavy plant growth requires removal. The flashing details should then be repaired or renewed as necessary.

2. CHIMNEY STACKS - Rear Stack
The pebble dash rendered surfaces to the stack are eroded and missing. Complete re-rendering of the stack is required.
- The chimney pots to the head of the stack are spalling due to frost action. These should be replaced with new pots including vented caps to prevent water blown ingress.
- Lead flashing details at the junction with the roof coverings should be replaced in Code 4 sheet lead.

3. ROOF COVERINGS - Main roof
- Rear elevation there is 1 missing tile
- About a dozen slipped tiles causing 'daylight' in the loft

4. ROOF COVERINGS - Front Bay & Porch Roof
- Missing tiles were noticed to the return hipped roof slope.

5. GUTTERING
- Evidence of leaks to gutter joints was noticed. The defective joints require immediate replacement to prevent saturation of the brickwork.

6. BARGE BOARDS - The front barge boards need need be painted too.

7. LOFT BOARDING
- I would like to board-up as much of the loft as possible.

I have received three quotes for the doing all of the above all inclusive of VAT, labour and materials:
- Quote 1 - £1000
- Quote 2 - £1850
- Quote 3 - £2175

The roofer who provided Quote 3 was the only one to actually get a ladder and go up on the roof. The others simply carried out a visual inspection.

All three said that scaffholding was not necessary.

I am thinking of going with Quote 3 as the roofer seemed the most professional and actually took the time to really understand my problems. I just wanted some reassurance that the quote was in the right ballpark and that there isn't any more due diligence that I should be doing.

Again, apologies if this is a real newbie question.

Regards.
[/quote]

Sponsored Links
You need a new roof mate. £4.5 - 6K. Why waste money?

You need a new roof mate. £4.5 - 6K. Why waste money?

Thanks. I thought so too but London prices new roofs are being quoted at £10-15K and I just have no idea. Also survey on the house said that if I can keep this roof water-tight with a few patchings it may last 5 -10 years (max).

What are your thoughts?

Even in London you can a good size roof done for under 10k so option 3 is over 20% of the price. Consider carefully.

Sponsored Links
Why should London be twice the price anyway? Materials are the same. :confused:

total re render/pebble dash chimney with no scaffold....never mind the other bits and bobs.. ..carefull i say.

Hi all

All three said that scaffholding was not necessary.

Regards.
[/quote] Well you wouldn`t get me - leadworking , and my boy - rendering up there without a scaffold . But then we`re just simple Sussex tradesmen without a death wish . Live in London - pay London ££ . and take a chance .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back