Questions about CH and hot water. first renovation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year All!

This is my first post, so i apologise now if i don't describe anything quite right, bear with me.

I bought a 2 bed terraced house 4 weeks ago and have been doing it up. The expansion tank wasn't in the loft but directly above the hot water tank and it was a galvanised steel one that looked like it had been leaking so I replaced that and fitted a plastic one in the loft and was expecting a gush of hot water from my hot water taps...it took an hour to fill the bath! :(

The house was in a pretty bad way and maintenance hadn't been done on anything. What steps can I do to improve the hot water pressure? We can't wait an hour for a hot bath!!

I can attach photos if they would help.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Sounds like there is a blockage from the header tank into the hot water tank.
Could be a high pressure tap on the bath and you have a low pressure system.
Don't know what sort of boiler you have but I would have thought just
putting in a combi boiler would have been more sensible than messing
about with old tanks and the like.

MM123
By expansion tank, I take it you mean a cold water storage tank.
What size pipe was feeding the hot water tank, from the cistern? Has this been reduced?Are there any valves between hw tank and cw cistern, that could be in the wrong way round?
Was the hot water flow OK, before you changed the tank?
Some pictures would help

Graham

yes, cold water expansion tank. None of the pipes have been reduced, all i did was extended them up to the new tank in the loft. I've uploaded some photos, I don't really know a lot of DIY, my dad helped me with it.

The hot water pressure wasn't better before but I thought that was because the tank wasn't high enough to create pressure, so i thought the problem would be fixed by replacing the leaking tank with a new tank in the loft. It seemed cheaper then buying a new combi boiler, the boiler that is in the house at the moment is a normal condensing boiler that has been serviced and the heating works fine.

Sponsored Links
The stopcock below your push fitting - is this fully open? It could be faulty.
Do your hot taps downstairs work better? What about at other taps in the bathroom?

I'm not sure if that stopcock is working properly or not. I can't turn it all. It looks like it hasn't been turned for a while. The hot water literally dribbles out of all the hot water taps.

The first thing to do is replace the faulty stop tap with a gate valve or preferably a full bore quarter turn lever valve. This will probably improve matters but I'd lay money on the outlet of the cylinder being furred up. Having a galvanised cold water storage tank and copper cylinder will lead to electrolytic corrosion and the outlet and inlet tend to get blocked due to the corrosion of the brass fittings. You're probably looking at getting a new cylinder.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back