Quick advice on Glow worm 24cxi or 30cxi needed please.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys,

Well, the old protherm is finally being replaced since it seems impossible to fix, even with a new ignition PCB and main PCB in and everything else being checked.

The guy who's been trying to mend the prothem recommended a Glow Worm 24cxi, and when I put me details of the house into the glow worm site it says a 24cxi is sufficient as well.

However, there's very little difference in price between the 24kw and the 30kw and I would have been inclined to get the 30cxi but the boiler man says it's not necessary.

What are your opinions - it's a 3 bed end terrace, with 10 radiators, bath, 2 showers (one mains electric) and 3 sinks(inc kitchen). Although it's v unlikely we would ever be doing bath+shower+washing up at the same time.

The deal is, if we choose him for the new boiler installation he won't charge us the part and labour for coming and diagnosing the problem with the protherm (around £200 ish I think, the part was £140 I know) and he can get it fitted next saturday. Total cost £1880 (a little bit steep I think, but not too bad)

Obviously if we decline his offer in favour of trying to get someone to fit the larger glow worm 30cxi, or the Worcestor Greenstar 28i that I was thinking we'd get, we would have to pay his £200 bill in addition to whatever the new person would charge and it might not be able to be scheduled in for more than another week, which is a long time with no CH or DHW!

Do you think we're being taken advantage of, and is the 24cxi sufficient?

Sponsored Links
By "better", do you mean hotter, or quicker or other?
I'm slowly getting to grips with boier terms, and understand the 30's flow rate is more than the 24's (an extra 2.5l/min at 35 deg increase). Does this mean I can turn the tap on more and the temp won't drop as much?

A bit worried as the Protherm had a flow rate of 11.3l/min (when it worked) so am I likely to notice a big difference going down to 9.8l/min?
Are the installers obliged to install what I ask for, or am I going to be stuck with the 24cxi if I stay with this guy?

Sponsored Links
Don't go smaller, you WILL notice it. As you imply, he isn't doing you a fabbo deal. Hopefully he's powerflushing the system?? I recently put in a GW 38cxi (yes 38 ) for £1850 over a weekend, and flushed it first.
Despite the aluiminum heat exchanger I think you'd get a better boiler in the Greenstar, personally I'd have the 40. Plume diverting is easier on the GW, not sure if WB's kit is out yet.

It is hard to fit boilers with intermittent faults but the fact remains, he didn't fix your Protherm. Sounds like it was faling reliably enough..

Well, I spoke to him, and he said he could change it for a 30cxi but it's likely to cost an extra £150 ish :LOL:

From uselessenergy I could get the boiler (30cxi inc standard flue and fitting jig) myself for £597 + VAT, and they give a £50 rebate so it's around £650 inc VAT.
£100 for a wireless thermostat takes it to £750.

I know I'm not supposed to really ask for quotes on here, but if anyone could email me with how much it would be for a straight switch, plus a power flush then that'd be great as I'm sure it shouldn't be more than a grand!

Also if anyone's in the Lancaster area who's free to fit a boiler next weekend as well then please get in touch ;)

If anyone fitted your boiler for less than £500 I would not expect them to be CORGI registered or to be going to power flush and chemically treating the water. We charge £700 although I suppose Lancashire may be a few pounds cheaper.

You need to check the difference in price between the 24 kW and 30 kW, I doubt its as much as £150 !

If he did not fix your Protherm then I dont see why he should be paid anything at all ! They are pretty simple boilers.

Tony Glazier

Apparently, there is an Italian plumber in the town I live doing boiler changes for £125.

Now thats a record im sure!

No one has ever seen him....he is the true 'boiler fairy'

David

Why is he pushing a 24kw blr maybe he has bought one already & needs to off load it. A comparison i use is with a car would you want a vectra or mondeo with a 1.4l engine i think not so insist on a 30 kw blr

That's about the increment at "r.r.p.", normal prices 30 odd% less,, but if he's spending the money his tax man will expect him to make a profit on it (like mine did)!

Another possibilty is that the gas pipe might just need upsizing for the bigger boiler.

I went to a boiler installed for £100 by an East European.

Gas supply in 15 mm through unsleeved holes in the walls.

It had worked for about two weeks before it was clogged by dirt from the uncleaned radiators.

Tony

BG are doing a 28i complete with wireless clock, power flush, gas run up to 9m & with 12 months full system cover for £1897.00
It's called Combi Express.

Thanks again for all your replies. Keego, that sounds awfully cheap for British Gas!

Got it sorted in the end, threatened to go elsewhere, and he made some calls. Over the weekend he called back to say he'd do the 30cxi fitted with powerflush and wireless room stat for £1550 cash so a saving of £330 on his original quote, and I probably would have paid cash anyway!

Fingers crossed for a warm house next weekend :)

Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back