Quick books

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone use Quickbooks or similar?

What do you know.

Sponsored Links
I bought Quickbooks 2005 and used it for a number of years. It ran well and worked well. I had the advantage of doing accountancy for 4 years as a job many moons back. But as Windows got further and further updated, the product stopped working.

I think accounts packages are just online and your books are on the cloud, so you just pay to keep using it. Unless you are or want to go VAT registered, or you want to analyse different incomes and expenditures in detail for some reason, I see little point in accounts packages. For wages, I just use the HMRC RTI software. Come accounts time, I just download my bank transactions for the year, copy and paste them into my spreadsheet and I simply put a letter beside each transaction and that value pops into specific columns. Then I just file my CT600 online by taking these values from the columns.

I initially used Quickbooks to analyse every thing out, then as time went on, there was absolutely no benefit gained.

Do you have a particular concern, question, interest with Quickbooks?

If I install Quickbooks 2005 on an Windows XP, it works grand. But you have to leave it open because after 5 or 6 times of opening and closing it, I would have to phone Quickbooks to unlock it. Those were the days to stop piracy.

I believe there are two good brands out there. QuickBooks and another brand that I cannot remember. Thanks Bonni, SAGE

I chose by asking the person who does my books at end of year what their preference was. Meant that they had easier life and I could ask them questions when I got stuck.

SFK

Last edited:
I believe there are two good brands out there. QuickBooks and another brand that I cannot remember.

I chose by asking the person who does my books at end of year what their preference was. Meant that they had easier life and I could ask them questions when I got stuck.

SFK
SAGE

Sponsored Links
The problem with Quickbooks is that you need to pay a monthly subscription. They got rid off the desktop version. If you try to install you will struggle. Then you have Making Tax Digital, which is forcing to use newer accountaing software.

I hate the subscription model as you keep paying over and over again for the same piece of software. They put up the prices up and they can change the software. They can add or remove feature at will.

I have seen two smaller software house close down. One had activation and the other was a subscription model.

If you rented a house, then your landlrod can't turn up to your house and change things, but these software companies can do what they like. You have no rights as a subscriber. There is no consumer protection.

All accounts software will be on subscription now. The only alternative would be to buy a new version every year, which is equivalent to paying monthly.
MTD has made buying once impossible as it would quickly become out of date and useless.
MTD only applies to VAT currently, but it will be expanded to cover other taxes. PAYE has been on the equivalent of that for years already.

hey Bodd, ask your accountant what they like to work with.

The great thing with computerised accounts is cloud accounting - your accountant can get access to it automatically and do year end stuff etc.

In my experience accountants like Xero and Sage, quickbooks Im not so sure about - I used it many years ago but found it far too American.

I Looked into it last year and ended up choosing quickfile: it’s £45+vat a year and £15+vat a year for the live bank feed.

it’s really easy to use

IIRC Quickbooks purchased TAS a few years ago. As others have said, those kind of products are now SAS (software as a subscription).

I no longer need a business package

But need something for home accounts.

Any suggs?

My suggestion is to try and find on ebay the final old version of Intuit Quicken XG2004 being the last one they produced for the UK before they withdrew from the UK market.
I still use mine on a daily basis. I do enter up all the transactions manually and don't try and use any download facilities within the program.

But need something for home accounts.

Any suggs?

Moneydashboard might do what you want, if all of your financial transactions are via banks and it is free. It is approved by the banks - you need to approve it's access to your accounts, is able to log into your accounts for read only access, to grab a statement of what you have spent and who with, which it then itemises including spend from all accounts, including income. You can then mark spend to various retailers under various categories and even make up your own categories. Any spend which you haven't categorised is flagged up, so it's easy to spot an illegal transaction.

It shows a configurable pie chart, of your spend on food, which you can dig down into and a balance issue of each account and a total for all of your accounts, plus a spend history. You can set up budgets for each spend category and it can flag it up if you exceed the budget on a category.

I've been using it for several years, ever since it's development began. It doesn't include all banks, all accounts, all investments - but you can manually update them. You can ask them to add support for banks which are not included, but it has a very large list of the common accounts.

Sponsored Links
Back