Quick help fitting a VDSL Faceplate please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I’ve bought a VDSL faceplate to fit onto the master socket in my house to hopefully improve the broadband speed. The house has two phone extensions (neither currently used) and I use a bog standard splitter to connect up the router and a cordless phone. I’ve taken the old faceplate off and am a bit puzzled by the wiring – see attached picture. The new faceplate has connectors 2, 3 and 5 but my setup has a wire going to connector 4 (+2 wires each going into connectors 2, 3 and 5).

Question 1: should I just blank off the wire that went to connector 4?

Question 2: to get faster broadband should I not reconnect to connector 3? I want the phone to ring obviously so I’m happy to reconnect up to 3 and hopefully there won’t be much interference on the line. Not sure having 3 hanging wires is a good idea.

Thanks.

Richard

Attachments

• 20171223_230040.jpg
    20171223_230040.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 137
Sponsored Links
Richard
In basic terms, the BT line that comes from outside your house goes to the innermost connection of the VDSL socket (ie closest to the wall). And all your phone line connection wires that go to the phones in your house go on the Outer most Plate. In simple terms, it makes no difference to the modem speed by how many wires are connected, but best to connect or more.

You can test this such that when telephone secton (the outermost plate) is pulled out, no phones in the house will work, but the modem will still work. And you can test to see if it works faster / slower when phones are / are not connected.

And does this video help my above explanation:

SFK

Last edited:
Thanks SFK. The one I bought is a bit different to the one in video as in I have to disconnect the wires, but I'll give it a go with my cheap punch tool.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back