Quick identification question for an expert please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

Could someone please confirm what we are looking at here?
There are two of these 'valves' connected on the way to our bath taps, my assumption is that they are double check valves, I am wondering if they are also isolator valves (which may make life easier replacing the taps) but before I am sure I don't really want to mess around with them.
Also any advice on them would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance, and please excuse the cobwebs.

Sponsored Links
I would say that they are double check valves.

Not sure why the installer wanted to fit them if you have taps rather than a mixer !

Should have fitted isolating valves as well !

Tony

I would say that they are double check valves.

Not sure why the installer wanted to fit them if you have taps rather than a mixer !

Should have fitted isolating valves as well !

Tony

Thanks Tony, just to clarrify when I say taps I do mean a mixer tap with shower head. I cant see any separate isolator valves installed however I have noticed that on all/most of the plumbing in this house (about 23 years old) my guess is either the builder didn't want to spend money on isolators or maybe back then they didn't bother?
The bit that confused me was that there are two bits that look like they could be turned (not sure what that would do?) and when I googled double check valve all the images I could find only had one. I hoped one may be an isolator.

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
The bit that confused me was that there are two bits that look like they could be turned (not sure what that would do?) and when I googled double check valve all the images I could find only had one. I hoped one may be an isolator.
I don't recall ever coming across a DCV with TWO test points.

Are there any markings on the other sides of the valves?

If you look closely at the third picture, the point not obscured by the cobweb does say TEST on it.
I'd stake half an hours wages on them NOT being flow restrictors.

Thanks guys, I will try and see if I can get any further markings off them and hoover out the cobwebs first.
I hope they are not flow restrictors as its only a gravity fed system so we certanily dont need any sort of restriction on the flow :)

Flow restrictors only restrict to a certain level.
If you've only got a 10 litres per minute flow rate through a pipe and fit a 12 lpm flow restrictor it will do virtually nothing to the flow rate.

Like I said, I'm fairly certain they are not flow restrictors.

looking at the pics it doesn't look like test.more est. but hard to say. looking at it. id say the bottom nut would be a shut off valve just by the shroud design on it. and the upper nut a test point due to the red fibre sealing washer . you don't see many double check valves with two test points. and a builder forking out on check valves without isolation seems a bit odd. id be inclined to give the bottom nut a nudge to see if it moves freely.

still not convinced. p.s OP if you do turn the water off to it . try undo the bottom nut and see what happens. just curious i suppose.

Am I likely to break anything by turning either of the nuts while the water feed is still on?

if the are test points it is likely to be a Type EC – Verifiable double check valve.

Its a single check valve with a test point as Charnwood has stated and a drain off facility incorporated.
Similar to a Honeywell RV281.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back