Quick loft insulation question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there,

I know this gets asked a lot, but I'm a bit on the fence. There's a handful of junction boxes in the loft - some that are acting as the ceiling rose for the upstairs lights, and others which look to be spurs for lights such as the airing cupboard and loft.

I'm insulating the loft, as there wasn't much there before. Would you, as savvy fellows, bother to replace the cables between the boxes and lay it over the insulation and joists - or would you just insulate on top? At the moment it's been laid quick tightly through the rafters (drilled holes), so there's no way I can lay underneath. I suppose I could screw some dowel between the truss beams (I think they are called that), and run the cable along that.

I plan to install an extractor fan in the bathroom, but other than that, the ceiling lights are low-watt energy saving bulbs. The electric shower cable will not be covered.

Sponsored Links
Even with an extractor fan on the circuit? That's great news, as it will save me the effort. 200mm of insulation is enough for one weekend.

From a safety standpoint, fine.

From a 'oh god, where is that bloody connector, I need to put a new light in?!?!' stand point. Not so good :)

Sponsored Links
Lol, I bet. I've diagrammed all the wiring I found, and taped it by the hatch. At least the next resident will have a headstart.

I so hope I never have to buy a house with one of those disgusting roof structures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back