Ceiling lights + loft insulation

pvr

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a lot of lights in the ceiling (low voltage, 50 Watt). The other side of the ceiling is in the loft itself.

So to allow for the heat of the light to disperse at the rear of the light, I have cleared for each light, an area of loft insulation material so that the light is clear.

However, with the shere amounts of lights in the various rooms in the ceilings, it means that probably half the loft has no insulation material between the joists now.

Is this the correct way to do it, or can anyone recommend a proper way of dealing with this?

Thanks for reading.

Sponsored Links
Hopefully somewhere on the MIs you should find the clearances that the fixtures need, you could construct a plasterboard box to give it a mimimum of that abount of space, fix that over the light and take the insulation over the top of that

Or commerically available are metal boxes that fasten to the ceiling joists and cover the light, not sure what sort of clearances these offer, but it should be verified that its adequate for the fittings you've installed

Not only are these type of lights inefficent due to the large number of them needed becuase of the small angle of illumination they offer, but they also compound that by rquireing insulation to be removed (and lots of people don't make any arrangement to try and find a solution), the only recessed lights worth installing these days in my mind are the low energy ones, though many people will disagree with me!

also keep the insulation away from the transformers as they too build up heat. with no air circulating around them they can pack in well before their time.

Sponsored Links
adam, i think its probably end user that would disagree these days not sparks.300w to light a small hallway,makes me cringe these days.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back