Quick one on gas tightness/let tests

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If you are testing a domestic at 10mb for 1 min and 20mbr for 2 mins and proves to be satisfactory with no drop.
What if say (I know it is not the done thing) the manometer remained in place for a further 3-4 mins and there was evidence of a pressure drop?
Would it still be satisfactory (which I doubt) of further investigation required.
In essence how long would you expect a manometer to hold pressure on a tightness tests?

Sponsored Links
Where's your stabilisation?
You mean the 1 minute between each test, say that the stabilisation had proved satisfactory.
Would you expect a drop of pressure with no differential temperature changes in either the gas or the location, if the U-gauge had been left in position after satisfying the test procedures in Section 6 of corgi's essential gas safety (domestic) 7th edition?

Sponsored Links
Why are you bothered? if it passes the test after 2 mins then simply take the guage off and stop worrying!

The test for standard domestic is 4 minutes not 6, 7 8 or 9 so what ever it does after the test period is not part of the test and as such would not need to be acted on

The only thing you would act on is if there was any smell of gas
So what has been the conflicting advice by the two of them

the conflicting advice by the two of them

Welcome to our world.

However, the test duration is just that. Who's to say what happened in the subsequent minutes? If you returned to find the drop you would re-test.

That would be for the prescribed time period, which based on your supposition was fine so job done.

If the CC lets retired and no longer registered engineers in then surely there should be allowance for genuine apprentices.
Maybe this is something for admin to look into?

I agree with Lee, if you are a genuine apprentice/improver then the CC is a massive resource.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back