reinstated fire - tightness test before?????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Right, just recently cleared a chimney as flue flow test was failing when Scottish Gas where doing a service on a LFE fire, however everything else was deemed fine. To my knowledge after doing the 2.5 day Scottish Gas induction there is no need for a tightness test when servicing an appliance as LD fluid around the effected connections would suffice.

So, fire re-commisioned now and LD gave slight bubblling at fire connection, which was tightened and now looks fine. But being more cautious, decided to conduct a tightness test and recorded a a 1mb drop over 3 mins.

I know your allowed a 4 mb drop on a u6 over 2 mins, however my question is should I have tightness tested 1st and is the leak size worth worrying about.

Any replys from more experience engineers will be greatly apprectiated, Thanks.

Sponsored Links
When servicing a fire it normally has to be disconnected and LDF is conidered all that is required when reconnecting.A TT is not required B4 disc fire.As for your leak If there is no smell springs to mind.

thats about the only point i forgot to add. theres no smell of gas and the flue has a good pull. Just looking to make sure i'm not leaving anything that sounds dangerous.

Sponsored Links
i always carry out a tightness test regardless of what's allowable in regs,end of day it's my name on the ticket etc.

we live in a blame culture, to be honest if the HSE investigated it all you say is i done what you told me to be law ie isolated fire disconnected remove fire cheak catchment space flue flow cheak, refit fire spray with LDF spillage test an **** off, thats all you have to say ;)

.......there is no need for a tightness test when servicing an appliance as LD fluid around the effected connections would suffice.

....I know your allowed a 4 mb drop on a u6 over 2 mins

Garbage

LDF is a very crude method of leak detection. It will only show leaks if the gas can form bubbles. I've had plenty of pipework leaks that can't be found with LDF but are detected with the sniffer. Don't rely on LDF...personally I only use it on test points.

You are allowed zero drop on pipework.

Old fashioned I suppose, but I always done TT before I started anything, at least then you know what you have before you touch anything. Then TT when finished.
Ive capped off sytems because of a leak from I don't know where, never mind the appliance i'm working on.
Then again thats old school,hyper safe.

thats about the only point i forgot to add. theres no smell of gas and the flue has a good pull. Just looking to make sure i'm not leaving anything that sounds dangerous.
If you are a RGI test it abd be happy (as you should well know) if not leave it for a pro.

Old fashioned I suppose, but I always done TT before I started anything, at least then you know what you have before you touch anything. Then TT when finished.
Ive capped off sytems because of a leak from I don't know where, never mind the appliance i'm working on.
Then again thats old school,hyper safe.

old school didn't give a toss. its the "new" world we live in now which is very much a blame culture, its all the young lads these day who turn evrything off an carn't sleep at night, i was talking to my doctor about stress about a month ago an he said he has seen more then 10 gas engineers all below 30 who where a bag of nerves....

Right, just recently cleared a chimney as flue flow test was failing when Scottish Gas where doing a service on a LFE fire, however everything else was deemed fine. To my knowledge after doing the 2.5 day Scottish Gas induction there is no need for a tightness test when servicing an appliance as LD fluid around the effected connections would suffice.

So, fire re-commisioned now and LD gave slight bubblling at fire connection, which was tightened and now looks fine. But being more cautious, decided to conduct a tightness test and recorded a a 1mb drop over 3 mins.

I know your allowed a 4 mb drop on a u6 over 2 mins, however my question is should I have tightness tested 1st and is the leak size worth worrying about.

Any replys from more experience engineers will be greatly apprectiated, Thanks.

Hi there,

You are right you are allowded a (4mbar) drop over 2mim,but experenices allways tells you that a tightness test confirms gas is sound before anywork is carried out there for shouls there be a fault with appliance you can inform the resonpbile person of the proplem and adviuce accordingly.

In correct burner preassure can lead to to many fittings on supply or incorrect size of instillation pipework to appliance which can lead to poor combustion and may but the applaicnce at risk..Ie gas fire incomplete combustion can lead to sooting and grat proplems..gas boiler fireing up and cutting of to soon..poor hot water demand due to insuffecent gas suppy.

.......there is no need for a tightness test when servicing an appliance as LD fluid around the effected connections would suffice.

....I know your allowed a 4 mb drop on a u6 over 2 mins

Garbage

LDF is a very crude method of leak detection. It will only show leaks if the gas can form bubbles. I've had plenty of pipework leaks that can't be found with LDF but are detected with the sniffer. Don't rely on LDF...personally I only use it on test points.

You are allowed zero drop on pipework.

are you saying his comment is garbage, or the correct procedure which he is describing is garbage, as fro no leak allowed on pipework, we all know that but it isnt relevant here as the guy is clearly telling us there is an existing fire connected, and using a gas sniffer is not mandatory when checking for leaks
if it fails a spillage test it is ID (well you started it)

mbars what are they i am old i still work in tenths.

And the figure is not 4 mbar allowed that is one of the figures but people have that ingrained in them

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back