First Post/ Gas/ Cooker/ Boiler/ no idea. Gas Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
As you can tell that this is my first post, therefore I am not entirely sure whether if I am asking this in the right thread or not.
So, what brings me here. Well, I have been using this site to look for solutions for 2 years, however, this is my first time posting a question.
Issue:
30th July: Cooker stops working for a few seconds, usually when you turn on the cooker for sometime, you can smell a lot of gas without putting the fire on, however, there was none/ very low smell of gas coming out of the cooker.
9pm: Called emergency helpline, engineer comes. Tests everything inside the house, says everything is fine and no issue with pressure e.t.c. The first time he puts the cooker on, it works, however, not all the furnaces light up completely. Engineer tells us that everything is fine and he need to perform one last check on the meter outside, he informs us of this and carries out the test. He comes telling us that there is a 1mb leak on gas pressure test on meter. He informs us that the gas leak is withing the house (from meter to boiler). As you may already have guessed, yes he did cap of the gas completely. He doesn't leave the paper work and comes back to drop it of a few minutes later. He doesn't inform us of whats being done or what should be done, well he did ask me to read the leaflets and the paperwork he gave me.

31th July: I call the National Gas who capped off our gas and question them regarding what I should do and they gave me a set of instructions, which included, getting my boiler services since it has not been serviced in the past 2 years and when the engineer from 'x' company comes to service it, ask the engineer to also find and unblock the leak.
1st August: I called British gas and they quoted me £97/60 mins for trace and repair service from their Gas safe registered engineers. I was reluctant to pay that much amount, therefore, I just went onto the http://www.gassaferegister.co.uk/ and found a couple of people living less than 0.20 miles away from me. Called two people, first one said he doesn't serve public anymore and works for British Gas, called the second person. He agreed upon coming to the house for free since he only lived a few roads away.
======Gas safe Engineers visit:
He came and looked at the cooker and the paperwork left by the engineer who capped of our gas. He quoted his price of £70/60mins. He warns us that if the problem is with the pipework in the house, the unfortunately, he won't be able to do anything about that as that huge project. As the price was not negotiable, he gave us sometime to think and also said that he can come back at any time and that we can also look for someone who will do it for a bit cheaper than he would. Before leaving, he said, I will take a look at your meter and just run some checks. He brings out his equipment, takes a look at the boiler and then the cooker. He runs the test on the meter in front of me and tells me that the bar is set at 20mb or something similar to that. He runs the test for appx 3+ minutes and informs us that there is no gas leak at all.
-----------
He comes back inside and says that the cooker is faulty and needs to replaced. So, caps of the cooker and gives us a warning/ advice paper stating that he has put the gas back on, however, has advised us to replace the cooker.
-======-----========-----=======
My two concerns after he left the property:
1st: When he carried out the test at the gas meter outside, the boiler was not switched on. I later realized this when he had left and the heating system/ water was not getting hot.
2nd: When he was carrying out these tests: the cooker wasn't on either.

I will now take pictures of the cooker/ oven and the paper work left by both engineers now. Thank you to anyone who takes their time to read this in order to help me.

Cooker (which has been uncapped)
jkLRBY9Grtwr3.jpg

jTEySaEDVFum1.jpg

jKlbcorx1JjIF_e.jpg

ibvUSuaEKvXMay.jpg

iGNzKPwJRjGkS.jpg

iGNzKPwJRjGkS.jpg

ijIv3u5o0yb2f.jpg

iDhOKGJWXmLDu.jpg

igiLhrxUE0UQO.jpg

[imghttp://i3.minus.com/ibzAsjI9wehyOC.jpg[/img]

Boiler
iUcRm9xefeclz.jpg

inumTibheRbY3.jpg

jJQf1lvTpLBHQ.jpg

Emergency Gas Engineer's Paperwork
jBRU31mzZBRAc.jpg

Repaidwork Gas Safe Engineer's Paperwork
jQYoaGtcDPOku.jpg

Sponsored Links
He was testing for gas leaks, you can't do that with appliances running.

He was testing for gas leaks, you can't do that with appliances running.

First of all, I had just like to thank you for being the first person to answer my thread. I was thinking how he came to the conclusion that the cooker was faulty. He didn't carry out any tests on the cooker, and since there were no leaks at all when he did carry out the tests.

I am going to attach some pictures in the first post of the boiler and the cooker.

I have updated the first post with the pictures of the boiler and the cooker. How much should I spend on the new cooker (range), I have looked at a few and none cost less than £700-£1000.

Sponsored Links
The fault on the burners may be that they just need a really good scrubbing.
The installation doesn't look good though.

A 1mb drop (leak) on your system is a small drop and would not have been a problem if you could'nt smell it (thats why it was isolated). Is the cooker worth repairing (might just need the taps re-greasing)

The fault on the burners may be that they just need a really good scrubbing.
The installation doesn't look good though.

The installation of the cooker right?

Once I have cleaned the cooker then should I call the gas safe engineer again in order for him to attach the cooker to the gas point. The only thing is that the company has a non negotiable charge of 70 pounds for the first 60 minutes.

cleaning the cooker won't help if you have a gas leak & or a smell of gas, baynot fitting is fitted incorrectly & i def wouldn't be happy about the electrical postion of that socket under the range in the floor

whats the prob with the charge ? it's not a eastern europeanen market place where we haggle, if you don't like the price then try & find another RGI that's cheaper :rolleyes:

1. Why didn't the first RGI find and fix the problem?

2. As above, the cooker installation is "wrong".
The bayonet fitting needs to be correctly positioned. Perhaps replaced with a side strapper.
Should be NCS (not to current standard) on the report.

3. That gas isolator valve should be replaced with a modern gas isolator valve. NCS.

4. The gas supply pipe in the concrete should be wrapped with denso tape. Concrete degrades copper pipe. NCS or AR (at risk).

5. That electrical outlet in the floor is illegal, and a possibility of electrocution waiting to happen. Have it, at least, blanked off.

If there is any smell of gas no tolerance is allowed.

The burner caps have orifices, that can be plugged with waste.

1. Why didn't the first RGI find and fix the problem?

2. As above, the cooker installation is "wrong".
The bayonet fitting needs to be correctly positioned. Perhaps replaced with a side strapper.

3. That gas isolator valve should be replaced with a modern gas isolator valve. NCS.

4. The gas supply pipe in the concrete should be wrapped with denso tape. Concrete degrades copper pipe. NCS or AR (at risk).

5. That electrical outlet in the floor is illegal, and a possibility of electrocution waiting to happen. Have it, at least, blanked off.

If there is any smell of gas no tolerance is allowed.

The burner caps have orifices, that can be plugged with waste.

this clearly tells me that I need to get all this fixed, however, does this also mean I should buy another cooker/ oven.

The first Engineer who came here was only here for 15 minutes and was sent by National Grid. The second Gas safe engineer also confirmed this that the first engineer was only meant to come/ check/ and close the gas if necessary.

There are three issues here:

1. Have the above items taken care of.

2. Find and fix any leaks in the gas supply from meter to bayonet fitting.

3. After the above, or merely after item 2, test the cooker for leaks and workability. There's no need to buy anything unless you know for certain that its too costly to repair.

Note: i suspect that the first RGI legged it, because he could see the possibility of having to expose the pipework in the kitchen floor?

Did any of the RGI's leave a prominent note at the meter indicating where the main gas shut-off was and how to operate it? Do you know how to shut your gas off?

Just a thought, is this a rental property? Surely not?

If you think that £70 is too much then how much do you think is reasonable?

Although he may be quite close to you there is still a travelling/parking time to be considered.

How much does your solicitor charge for work in his cosy office?

And your accountant if you have one?

Your doctor will be on much more although probably paid for by the NHS.

I would usually charge £84 although that is a fixed price and not limited to one hour.

Tony

If you think that £70 is too much then how much do you think is reasonable?

Although he may be quite close to you there is still a travelling/parking time to be considered.

How much does your solicitor charge for work in his cosy office?

And your accountant if you have one?

Your doctor will be on much more although probably paid for by the NHS.

I would usually charge £84 although that is a fixed price and not limited to one hour.

Tony

Whilst writing this, it seemed to as not a reasonable price, however, I did have to pay the amount to the second engineer, so, that was never a problem.

The property is owned by my dad, who pays the mortgage e.t.c

There are three issues here:

1. Have the above items taken care of.

2. Find and fix any leaks in the gas supply from meter to bayonet fitting.

3. After the above, or merely after item 2, test the cooker for leaks and workability. There's no need to buy anything unless you know for certain that its too costly to repair.

Note: i suspect that the first RGI legged it, because he could see the possibility of having to expose the pipework in the kitchen floor?

Did any of the RGI's leave a prominent note at the meter indicating where the main gas shut-off was and how to operate it? Do you know how to shut your gas off?

Just a thought, is this a rental property? Surely not?

The only thing is that I can get this done, however, would a Gas safe engineer also be able to coat the gas pipe, or would I need someone else for that?

What I don't understand is that who can I call to get these 3 first fixed:

'2. As above, the cooker installation is "wrong".

4. The gas supply pipe in the concrete should be wrapped with denso tape. Concrete degrades copper pipe. NCS or AR (at risk). '

Would I need a plumber and a Gas safe engineer or would the engineer be able to handle all the points mentioned in the thread.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back