First Post/ Gas/ Cooker/ Boiler/ no idea. Gas Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DaftPunk,
You are correct, its not strictly illegal as if its against the 17th Ed. and i apologise for stretching my point.

However, no BCO in my limited experience would allow that outlet in that location.
Its exposed to hazards of water and physical damage, which are mentioned in the Regs.

I wonder if there's an RCD on the ring?

Would you as, presumably a sparky (which i'm definitely not), pass that outlet on an EICR?

Perhaps i'm OCD about these things, but i'm also explosive about call backs.

Anyhow, thank you once again for pulling me.

Sponsored Links
DIYes,

There are many unwrapped gas pipes in concrete installations out there. But FWIW i tell you how it is. Leaking gas is one thing, but potential leaks are up to you and your budget.

A gas registered plumber is your best bet, (a member of the IOP, or CIPHE as it is now) one person to do the lot, including if you wish, to expose the pipe in the floor.

Without the floor pipe, the other items amount to a very small run of the mill job. Any GR tradesperson could handle it.

With respect, there are still a few questions outstanding?

A gas registered plumber is your best bet, (a member of the IOP, or CIPHE as it is now)

you mean a gas safe reg installer

IOP or CIPHE means diddly squat apart from meaning you have paid to be in their club

No, i mean a plumber who is gas registered, and by definition would be a gas safe registered installer.

The plumber would, typically ( in my experience) have more allround skills to deal with the tile & concrete issues.

Ref the IOP, a matter of opinion, but have you ever attempted to become a member? Believe me, its always been the gold standard for plumbers.

Sponsored Links
No, i mean a plumber who is gas registered, and by definition would be a gas safe registered installer.

The plumber would, typically ( in my experience) have more allround skills to deal with the tile & concrete issues.

Ref the IOP, a matter of opinion, but have you ever attempted to become a member? Believe me, its always been the gold standard for plumbers.

Update: I had another engineer come and test the pipe behind the cooker, weather if it had any leaks or, results are that the pipe doesn't leak any gas and the cooker needs replacing.

So, we have decided to buy an electrical 2 plate cooker/ stove for now until we come up with enough money to buy a range cooker/ oven.

The engineer informed us that when an appliance is on, 1mb of gas leak is permissible, however, due to the fact that we can sometimes smell the gas, he recommended getting a new cooker as a lot of the parts need repairing in the cooker/ oven.

yes i used to be a member but apart from the odd useful eve with a guest speaker, i found it no use to me at all

The engineer informed us that when an appliance is on, 1mb of gas leak is permissible, however, due to the fact that we can sometimes smell the gas, he recommended getting a new cooker as a lot of the parts need repairing in the cooker/ oven.

if you can smell gas then you have a leak somewhere, it could be pipework, fittings or the cooker itself

OMG where do some people find these idiots & more to the point how on earth did they ever get gas safe reg, yes you are allowed a permissible drop but only if you can't smell gas & it's not 1mb so he is incorrect, unless you have misunderstood him, 1mb is the difference in working pressure between the meter & an appliance, ie pressure lost through the pipework (not from a leak)

2. As above, the cooker installation is "wrong".
The bayonet fitting needs to be correctly positioned. Perhaps replaced with a side strapper.
Should be NCS (not to current standard)

The cooker pipework is At Risk

maybe the brown rusty water deposits stopped it from going on :eek:

DIYes,

Thank you for telling us what happened next - few OP's do.

I am planning on becoming a permanent member. I like this forum, its a good way of saving hundreds of pounds or even in rare cases thousands.

Useless info/ Ignore
------------------bio: I am a 19 year old student, who loves sorting things out himself. I visit many forums and find majority of them useful. I love learning new stuff, as of now I would really love to be able learn more about plumbing and heating. I am also a developer who has helped create tvcatchup/ Onlive and is currently working with PIA (Private Internet Access).

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

I WAS a member circa 82 to 94 when their members required qualifications of a high standard unlike what we have at present , anyone can be a mmber now . joke aint it. ;)

A gas registered plumber is your best bet, (a member of the IOP, or CIPHE as it is now) one person to do the lot, including if you wish, to expose the pipe in the floor.

Hey Dan , my bet being you arn't even gas registered. ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back