Gas cooker installed incorrectly

Now seeing the photos I would try and get the cable out of harms way but as far as the fitting I have seen better but it's not awful I would not be worried myself. There should be a stability device but you cannot see in the photos. It is there to stop the modern tinny cooker from tipping over if you lean on the door. Not a problem in the days of cast iron cookers!(y)

Sponsored Links
Now seeing the photos I would try and get the cable out of harms way but as far as the fitting I have seen better but it's not awful I would not be worried myself. There should be a stability device but you cannot see in the photos. It is there to stop the modern tinny cooker from tipping over if you lean on the door. Not a problem in the days of cast iron cookers!(y)

TBH, FP, 60/70s drop down door with eye/high level grill cookers needed the bracket more than most today.

And don't get me going on a chain for a "proper" range

Regarding the electrics the flex for the cooker is in an inappropriate location as it's easily damaged by heat, this area shouldn't have any combustibles. Never mind the regs, any lay person with common sense can see that's wrong.
Not part of your question, but that 2 pin plug is not suitable to use directly in a socket, this is for two reasons. First is not mechanically compatible therefore may damage the socket or have a bad connection, and second there is no fuse in the plug so the only protection is the 32A circuit breaker which is too high.
You need to get a shaver adaptor which has a 3A fuse or similar.
What makes you think the 2-pin plug on the left is the one supplying the cooker? The lead from one on the right goes down behind and (presumably) supplies it. That one will have a fuse, 3A would be enough, but if it's like most 3-pin plugs it still has the 13A fuse it came with.

Sponsored Links
Pretty sure John made clear it had nothing to do with the cooker.
I'm not with you there. I thought John was saying the 2-pin plug supplies the cooker, and not having a fuse (and incidentally no earth) it isn't suitable. John?

Not part of your question, but that 2 pin plug is not suitable to use directly in a socket,

Agreed, he would have to poke something in the earth hole to push the guard away (unless it's the type where the guard swivels). Either way it's suspect.

I read it specifically as him saying the point about the 2 pin plug had nothing to do with the cooker.
I can't see where he says that in his post, but no matter, I accept I was misreading him. I see now he was going off on a tangent about the 2-pin plug, I read it as he meant that was supplying the cooker.

I can't see where he says that in his post, but no matter, I accept I was misreading him. I see now he was going off on a tangent about the 2-pin plug, I read it as he meant that was supplying the cooker.

Yup, definitely a tangent.

TBH, FP, 60/70s drop down door with eye/high level grill cookers needed the bracket more than most today.

And don't get me going on a chain for a "proper" range
Pretty safe with a Metro or Speedway though!:LOL:

Eee lad fix 'em in iron with a longscrew or union elbow like real fitters did!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;)

Eee lad fix 'em in iron with a longscrew or union elbow like real fitters did!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:;)

This is true. Had to create a walking stick to install the old Cannons. That will only make sense to old Gas Bord guys

Yep i guess you concluded while i was working but i was just reviewing the visible parts of the electrical installation, as i thought the gas parts were probably well covered by others with more knowledge whereas the electrical side was not.

In the first of the photos we can see a blanked-off electrical outlet; the “tidy” way to do the electrics would be to use that for the cooker’s plug, if it’s suitable. But it’s obviously more work.

When you're probably getting paid £30 and earning £20 after expenses why would you expect a top notch job?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back