Is PTFE safe on a cooker?

Sponsored Links
I just use dental floss & pass it of as Loctite 55. I spoke to GS & they said it's just the same stuff.
Everyday's a Skool Day!!

Sponsored Links
I've ran out of " gas " ptfe before and used normal ,,,,, ooops ,,,, hope I don't get busted by the ptfe police,,,, ffs

Oh, I do miss the old Town Gas!!
The evenings spent totally out of my tree, just for the cost of a bottle of milk & a handy gas light with the mantel removed.

I'm sure it's the endless hours intoxicated by this concoction that's keeping the 'Old Timers' at bay in my twilight years.

When with BG and grid got called out to loads of leaks when joints had gone loose by people using the sh#te thin wrong ptfe lasts a few years then pishes out

Is anyone still using PTFE anymore?

I have rolls of the stuff but never use it.

Loctite 55 pretty much every time now. Touch wood I have yet to have a leak or even a weep with it on gas or water.

Jon

yep never use thin stuff i always use the gas stuff for everything im a dinosuar ;)

God do I feel old I can remember when ptfe came first came out,All the old lads said won't feckin last 5 minutes and here we are with two thicknesses to choose from are we spoiled or what and fireman I do remember coal gas was very moist some days wet as an otters pocket.Bob

which is why you have the term wet meters still used by pensioners cause the gas meter needed emptying of water

There was only one type of PTFE years ago which was used for gas and water...roll on 30 years and we have PTFE for gas and another one for water...the original PTFE used on gas and water was thicker than the gas tape we have today.
Normal PTFE is fine on gas as long as it's applied correctly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back