Gas Cooker Hose

Then another grey area is when or if they sell their property, they have then done gas work for the new buyer and not diy?

I can't really see that being a "grey area" I think someone was ****ing in your pocket when they told you that one :LOL:

Sponsored Links
dave300968 said:
I am new to this forum just thought I might have got some help, but as is common with these forums you post a simple question and it gets hijacked by simple people.

The only thing I will not touch in my house is gas it goes BANG and then no more house thats why I posted the original thread, I only wanted to know if it could be done legaly and if so how and what to use.

a simple "YES or NO" would have done

Didn't expect my thread to be hijacked and turn into a mud chucking session but what can you do boys will be boys.

To all the fellas that posted help cheers, to the rest of you I will send cots and teddies

Will get a CORGI to do it and test
Cheers

Dave

You posted on here to get advice from experts, but I can see your point.

20 millibar is not the pressure used on testing all gas installations.

So Balenza.... what is it? You cant seem to explain plumbing practice in other countries, so what about this one?

And, your posts are not only uninformative, but are mildy aggressive to other forum members on a regular basis.

A little bit 'anal' at times IMHO

Dave

2 Legal Requirements & Safety

a) Is it legal to do DIY work on gas?

In short, yes it is, but only if you are competent to do so.

So how is competence judged? You are to be your own judge of whether you are competent or not, but should some catastrophe result from your work, then it would seem clear that you were not competent and should not have tackled the work. That could leave you vulnerable to legal action (assuming you were still alive).

This question arises almost weekly on the news group uk.d-i-y and can generate heated and inconclusive discussions, sometimes propagating wrong information.

Like some other aspects of DIY there are laws governing gas fitting. These are the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998 published by the Heath & Safety Executive (HSE), ISBN 0-7176-1635-5, and are online at: http://www.hmso.gov.uk/si/si1998/19982451.htm

Regulation 3 (1) effectively says that anyone who works on gas must be competent. Regulation 3 (3) effectively says that anyone who is rewarded for gas work (in money or otherwise) must be registered with CORGI. The guidance notes published along with the laws state that level of competence must match the work being done.

I don’t think there has been a legal ruling yet on precisely what competence means in regard to DIY gas fitting, but for professionals it means they have the knowledge, experience and exam passes in the relevant aspects of gas fitting. There are dozens of exam categories covering domestic, commercial, liquefied petroleum gas (LPG), and more exotic gas fitting skills.

Opinions vary amongst DIYers as to the range of gas work they may undertake. The HSE and CORGI are unsurprisingly keen to stress that gas work should be done by competent people. It is my belief that the law is really aimed at eradicating the unregistered professionals whose motivation is their pocket and for whom public safety and customer satisfaction are at best secondary. Incompetent DIY gas fitting is inevitably unstoppable (for instance, I once saw a photo of a home made boiler). The HSE state that the majority of fatal gas incidents occur to the old, the poor, students, and those in rented housing. The regulations specifically try to address this situation.

Whilst gas fitting is potentially the most dangerous of all DIY activities, the public perception of the dangers of gas are often over-estimated, perhaps because when occasionally a gas explosion occurs it is reported as a national news item. To put it bluntly, you are at least 50 times more likely to be killed on the road than by a faulty gas installation.

Most DIYers would agree that at least some work on a gas appliance is permitted, and hardly any would say you should not even change a thermocouple. At the other extreme, replacing a multi-function gas control in a boiler would be beyond most DIYers. There are shops and mail order companies that sell spare parts for gas appliances, in fact obtaining the correct spare part for a gas appliance seems easier than for most other type of appliance. However some shops may refuse to sell ‘gas carrying parts’ to someone who is not CORGI registered, but will sell thermocouples, pressure switches, fans, etc.

You may have seen notices in some of the big DIY chains saying they “don’t give advice about gas fitting, and are thus complying with the law”. I don’t think there is anything in the regulations that forbids them, but perhaps their legal department fear that giving advice might be thought of as aiding and abetting incompetent, and therefore illegal gas fitting.

Stumpynut.... The reason for not using paste and ptfe together on gas is the 3 of them react together rotting the ptfe thus causing seal on threads to loosen off and leak. BG made this a no no over twenty years ago. Normal thin ptfe is not designed for use on gas and the thicker gas specification tape is the one that should be used.

Sponsored Links
Balenza said:
20millibar to me will never be a pressure test.
I dont care how many regulatory bodies their are governing your working practises or whatever legislations or rules that say otherwise.

i see you are still having trouble with the basics, as 20 mbar still continues to be a pressure used in a test.

allow me to help.......

perhaps what you meant was 20 mbar will never be an adequate test for tightness.

i still dont see what your specific problem is with this test or any issues surrounding the use of that pressure for the test.

as you are unable to provide any alternatives i suppose we never will.

I'm reading this with amazement as the guy that fitted my cooker was corgi registered yet he has appeared to have screwed up by using paste and ptfe on the same joint.

when i said that a good joint wasn't required on gas systems, i meant it didn't have to be a strong joint. For example you could quite easily seal the end of a gas pipe with the end of your finger and you would get no leakage but its much harder to do that with mains water, because its much higher pressure.

nickso said:
Balenza said:
I dont care how many regulatory bodies their are governing your working practises or whatever legislations or rules that say otherwise.

i see you are still having trouble with the basics, as 20 mbar still continues to be a pressure used in a test.

allow me to help.......

perhaps what you meant was 20 mbar will never be an adequate test for tightness.

i still dont see what your specific problem is with this test or any issues surrounding the use of that pressure for the test.

You also wrote
like i said. 20mbar is a pressure. its used in a test.

You dont seem to know your job very well.
Would you define yourself as competent ?

Balenza said:
nickso said:
Balenza said:

allow me to help.......

You also wrote
like i said. 20mbar is a pressure. its used in a test.

You dont seem to know your job very well.
Would you define yourself as competent ?

yes.

which part are you having trouble with? perhaps i could help you out again.

nickso wrote

and yet in my personal experience the majority of leaks occur at compression fittings

So you obviously think a 20 mbar tightness test will find a leak in a compression fitting. :LOL: :LOL:
Keep fixing those leaks boy . ;)
12 bar (something you might not be too familiar with) may not even find a leak in a fluxed up joint. A few weeks down the line and the joint drys and hey presto a gas leak.
Shows how much you know. :rolleyes:
Who,s talking out of their arse now ???

Congratulations soggy you seem to have stumped the diyer *******ski.
Though to aid his defence you did'nt quote wether strength testing or tightness testing. ;) still he would'nt have a clue. judging by his helpfulness he is an expert in something, how to save money and cut the corners maybe

Belender wrote this, So you obviously think a 20 mbar tightness test will find a leak in a compression fitting.
Keep fixing those leaks boy .

All you RGI like myself must learn the only way to find a leak is with a naked flame or soapy water, come on boys what did you learn whilst training, thats right, use swanvesta ;)

BOOM BOOM BALSKI SHAKES THE ROOM :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Soggy wrote

So Balenza.... what is it?

Hmmn now lets see :rolleyes:

clf-gas wrote

Congratulations soggy you seem to have stumped the diyer ****.

Thats what you think. ;)

Balenza, if you don't think that 20 mb is enough to test a gas installation why don't you try testing your own to something a little higher, lets say 2 bar. Then when you blow all the grease out of the gas cocks on your system, cooker hob controls etc. you may wake up dead in the morning and give everyone else a bit of peace.

balenza wrote :-
12 bar (something you might not be too familiar with) may not even find a leak in a fluxed up joint. A few weeks down the line and the joint drys and hey presto a gas leak.

you're crackers :eek:

Balenza said:
Soggy wrote

So Balenza.... what is it?

Hmmn now lets see :rolleyes:

clf-gas wrote

Congratulations soggy you seem to have stumped the diyer ****.

Thats what you think. ;)

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: your searching for it :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
Heres a clue has somthing to do with IGE/**/* ;)

stumpynut said:
balenza wrote :-

you're crackers :eek:

Nope.
Thats what can happen in reality with an unsoldered fluxed up joint.
In fact it may hold this pressure for a considerable time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back