Fitting a new hob - Bayonet hose question

S

snadge

Hi

We have a new gas hob with electric oven - the old gas cooker as removed and recycled - the gas fitting is a bayonet hose , the hob has an angle that has to fix on to it which leaves threads for a hose/pipe to screw on to - the bayonet hose also has threads to screw onto something - both are the same size - what can I do in this situation? - is there an adapter that can fit on the end of the angle to make it possible to attach the bayonet hose? or can I buy a new type of hose/pipe with bayonet end to attach onto it?

edit: this is a plastic/rubber hose off the old cooker - after reading some other posts i now see this may be illegal and that a steel hose will have to replace it - yes?

thanks

Sponsored Links
You cannot connect a hob with a hose it has to be connected with ridged pipe ,ie copper pipe.

You also can't do it yourself, as you must be competent to work on gas, and you're not. You need to obtain the services of a Registered Gas Installer

Get someone in. It should cost less than £100.
Now you may think that is expensive but what price do you put on the safety and well being of your family.

Sponsored Links
Here we go again :LOL:
Amazing how many on this site giving advice out cant even get the basics. One of the first things you learn is MI`s over rule the standard regs.

Lee still a month to go till new year so this subject will be on at least a dozen more times.

OP You can only have it fitted on a flex if manufacturers instructions allow it very few do and is not allowed at all with an oven fitted below it. It must be solid fixed as the flex will be affected by the heat and gas escape and big bang will follow

Here we go again :LOL:
Amazing how many on this site giving advice out cant even get the basics. One of the first things you learn is MI`s over rule the standard regs.

Lee still a month to go till new year so this subject will be on at least a dozen more times.

OP You can only have it fitted on a flex if manufacturers instructions allow it very few do and is not allowed at all with an oven fitted below it. It must be solid fixed as the flex will be affected by the heat and gas escape and big bang will follow

Thanks namsag :)

anyway, ours allows a hose attached - the instructions say so - i wouldnt have asked otherwise

[qoute]The connection of the hob to the gas pipe network or gas cylinder must be made by means of a rigid copper pipe or steel pipe with fittings complying with local regulations, or by means of a continous-surface stainless steel hose complying with local regulations. The maximum length of the hose is 2 linear meters[/qoute]

IMPORTANT: If a stainless steel hose is used it must be installed so as not too touch any mobile part of furniture. It must pass through an area where there are no obstructions and can be inspected on all its lenght.

i think some of you might find this interesting (below), and what about all the other advice on other threads that say you can as long as its a stainless steel hose?

I am writing this guide because when I purchased a new Baumatic Range Cooker on eBay it did not come with a fitted bayonet hose. When I enquired about how to get it fitted and collected quotes, I discovered that CORGI registered plumbers had differing views about how the installation should be done. In fact they only agreed that even such a surely straight forward fitment would cost at least £100 simply because they had to be CORGI registered to carry the task out.
It is one thing introducing legislation that makes installations safer but quite another when it simply done to create an artificial economy resulting in increased costs to the consumer.
I found out that this work is not necessarily done safer or better by CORGI registered members. I found that CORGI registered members were out of touch with the materials that they should be using as well as the method. When I read the CORGI regulations I understood why. They are too vague and clouded. The technical ability of typical CORGI registered members is too low to enable a proper and clear understanding of the CORGI regulations.
So here we have the definitive guide.
FIXED HOBS and FREE STANDING COOKERS:
Always follow the manufacturer s installation instructions exactly. You may or not be able to use a flexible hose. The manufacturer s routing instructions are key because hoses are temperature sensitive.
Many cooker bayonet flexible hoses sold do not meet the latest BS standard. Wickes charge £14 for such a hose that should not be used. Better made examples from the supplier below cost just £8. The flexible hose for a natural gas supply should be manufactured to BS 669 -1 Flexible hoses, end fittings and sockets for gas burning appliances. At the time of writing, 2007, accept nothing less. These hoses are a rubber sheath around a flexible steel hose. Earlier versions were all rubber.
CORGI members disagree over whether cooker hobs should be fed by fixed pipe or flexible hose. This is because they often do not understand the reasoning behind which route to take simply choosing one option and sticking with it. This is dangerous. Only the manufacturer can be responsible for knowing which parts of their products reach what temperatures during use. Thus you must follow their instructions. It is the CORGI regulation to follow the manufacturer s instructions.
Quoted from CORGI regulations: Fixed cooker hobs may be installed using a flexible hose, providing this is approved by the appliance manufacturer. The hob should be installed in accordance with appliance manufacturer s installation instructions and BS 6172 - Specification for Installation of domestic gas cooking appliances (2nd and 3rd family gases). The flexible hose for a natural gas supply should be manufactured to BS 669 -1 Flexible hoses, end fittings and sockets for gas burning appliances. Specification for strip-wound metallic flexible hoses, covers, end fittings and sockets for domestic appliances burning 1st and 2nd family gases. Similarly, LPG flexible hoses should also be manufactured to BS 669-1(LPG versions may be identified with either a red band or a stripe). The hose itself should not be subjected to temperatures in excess of 70ºC and should be located such that it will not suffer mechanical damage such as abrasion caused by surrounding kitchen furniture, which may be moved during use, such as a cupboard drawer or door. Guidance on the installation requirements of domestic gas cooking appliances is given in Gas Cookers and Ranges - Domestic (GID2) from the CORGI Gas Installer Manual Series.
The cooker or hob has a half inch male brass gas inlet connection.
A bayonet cooker hose also has a half inch brass outlet where it connects to the appliance. To connect this to your appliance you must use a chrome bayonet hose lock ring. These cost less than 30p each. Do not use anything else unless you know what you are doing!
The chromed lock ring sits between these 2 male connections (one end of a bayonet host & one end of an appliance). These two male connections sit inside a brass 'female-female half inch iron' connection.
If using a fixed pipe, then a female half inch iron connection is used.

You also need GAS rated yellow PTFE tape. Do not use other PTFE tapes which are not reinforced. Apply the PTFE tape to both male threads, overlapping each turn until the thread profile s knife edge can only just be observed, i.e. one more PTFE tape would suppress the knife edge character of the thread profile. No tape must cover the internal pipe - the wet area.

Tighten a half inch brass socket around the bayonet hose, after PTFE tape has been applied, so that half the socket plus the thickness of the chrome lock ring remains. Coil the hose into its bag so that you can then screw the other side of the socket onto the appliance inlet, after PTFE tape has been applied. Use pliers to gently hold the brass socket.
Liberally spray gas leak detector spray over all the joints to test for leaks. Instructions are one the tin but essentially you are looking for a stream of bubbles. The spray itself uses some bubbles. Test it several times with the gas supply on.
Hook up the stability chain as described by the manufacturer s instructions.
You just saved over £100 and have the peace of mind that you did the job right.
All the products mentioned can be obtained from toolstation or more expensively from your local plumber s merchants.
:D

our manufacturer guide says it can but MUST be a stainless steel hose

- where can I get one?

B&Q dont have them

- where can I get one?

B&Q dont have them

Your RGI will be delighted to advise.... By the way do you intend to fit an oven underneath or will it just be a cupboard under the hob... This also has a bearing on which type of pipe to use..

- where can I get one?

B&Q dont have them

Your RGI will be delighted to advise.... By the way do you intend to fit an oven underneath or will it just be a cupboard under the hob... This also has a bearing on which type of pipe to use..

it has an electric oven underneath - the instructions dont say anything about HAVING to use 'rigid pipe' IF an oven is underneath - see my posts above, it says either can be used but if its a HOSE it has to be stainless steel

- where can I get one?

B&Q dont have them

it has an electric oven underneath - the instructions dont say anything about HAVING to use 'rigid pipe' IF an oven is underneath - see my posts above, it says either can be used but if its a HOSE it has to be stainless steel

the Mi for the hob may well say a hose can be fitted, but your gas engineer will also need to comply with the relevant BS for the hose, which indicates the hose must not come in contact with temp over 70 degree C which in most cases (ie we dont know) will include the back of an electric oven, but as others have said your gas engineer will be well aware of the dangers that a well meaning DIYer will miss and subsequently put the householders family at risk of explosion or horrible burns

aye, ive just rang a RGI who;s gunna do it for £60... if i supply pipe and isolating valve, which I think is a good price... i got his number from gas safe website which is great as you just type in post code and brings up nearest one, turns out he was just in next street and free anytime... so gunna ring joiner now to get worktops fitted first

thanks for advice

Perhaps not got any works when every other RGI is overbooked at this time of the year?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back