Can I fit a new cooker?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm Gas Safe registered, done CCN1, CPA, CENWAT but not cooker unit.

I've only worked on boilers and other gas heaters, never cookers. It's for a friend, there's a bayonet fitting already there so I'd just be connecting the other one up, carrying out a tightness test then following instructions in book for commissioning.

Am I alright doing this? Also what would you recommend using on threads on hose connector to oven? I don't like gas ptfe as it's leaked a few times when I've used it in the past so I prefer Rocol, would this be enough, should I stick with gas ptfe or use both?

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
It's implausible that you don't already know the work would be out of scope and illegal.

Sponsored Links
It's also implausible that someone who is Gas Safe registered would need to ask about thread sealing materials.

I'm Gas Safe registered, done CCN1, CPA, CENWAT but not cooker unit.

I've only worked on boilers and other gas heaters, never cookers.
should I stick with gas ptfe or use both?

Cheers.
You have worked on gas heaters and only have boilers
and water heaters!!

Want to work on cookers but don't have cooker ticket!!

Mix tape and paste (so you don't regs)!!

Go back to school or take extra week on your two week corse.

Stick to boilers!!!!!!!!!!!

It's implausible that you don't already know the work would be out of scope and illegal.

I realise it would be out of scope for the tickets I hold, what I was really looking for was some heads up or a bit of advice on things to look out for as this is a one off for a friend and I haven't worked with cookers much other than what's covered in CCN1. I work with gas so I understand the dangers, I cant understand discouraging people from attempting DIY work on gas but for someone who works with gas to work on a cooker as a one-off is a bit different.

It's also implausible that someone who is Gas Safe registered would need to ask about thread sealing materials.

I completely disagree, when you serve your time you do what you're shown and get on with it, which could end up locking you into one way of working.

I don't think there's anything wrong with asking about other people's opinions on what they're using. I know what I'd use as I've had more success with Rocol over gas PTFE tape - joints have leaked less than when I've used PTFE. I've got my commercial tickets and have worked mainly on steel pipework for the last six months or so and always use Rocol because I find it more reliable. I was wanting other people's opinions on what they use and have most success with.

You have worked on gas heaters and only have boilers
and water heaters!!

Want to work on cookers but don't have cooker ticket!!

Mix tape and paste (so you don't regs)!!

Go back to school or take extra week on your two week corse.

Stick to boilers!!!!!!!!!!!

As I mentioned I'm not planning to work on them, nor do I want to, this is a one off as a favour for a friend with a new cooker.

Mixing paste and tape you pick up working methods when you serve your time and I've seen it done many many times right or wrong.

I know the importance of the regs obviously but at the end of the day IME - and this might sound like blashphemy on here - the regs are not followed 100% to the letter in the real working world. I've never met a gas fitter who's never bent the rules a bit - it doesn't mean they're doing anything unsafe.

If you're finding gas ptfe leaking, you're running it around the threads wrong and/or not using enough.

"""I cant understand discouraging people from attempting DIY work on gas but for someone who works with gas to work on a cooker as a one-off is a bit differrnt"""

Unfortunately you dont seem to have realised that the Forum rules do not allow us to tell you how to do gas work! ( Otherwise all the DIOYers would be having a go. )

If you are genuine then registered for the CC and we will try to help you.

If we dont see you registered in a couple of days we will know that you are not genuine!

Tony

Agile, i disagree with your first statement, it's one thing to ask about a fault on a boiler that you haven't come across before, but for someone who says they are a RGI to ask what they should use on a cooker hose thread & if they should be doing it is totally something else.

OP get back to the college & off the GS reg because you have no right to be working on any kind of gas work if you don't know the answers to such basis questions.

CBF, what is it about my first statement that you do not agree with?

Surely you must agree that the forum rules do not permit giving gas advice in this forum?

Surely you must agree that the forum rules do not permit giving gas advice in this forum?

yes i totally agree with the rules about giving gas advice & totally agree again about it only being in the CC.

the bit i was ref to was "I cant understand discouraging people from attempting DIY work on gas but for someone who works with gas to work on a cooker as a one-off is a bit differrnt" i can't believe there is one RGI on here that would give the OP any advice either in here or the CC as he plainly hasn't got a clue as to what he is doing & if he really has got through the course & is GSR then the training center should be shut down.

yes i totally agree with the rules about giving gas advice & totally agree again about it only being in the CC.

the bit i was ref to was "I cant understand discouraging people from attempting DIY work on gas but for someone who works with gas to work on a cooker as a one-off is a bit differrnt" i can't believe there is one RGI on here that would give the OP any advice either in here or the CC as he plainly hasn't got a clue as to what he is doing & if he really has got through the course & is GSR then the training center should be shut down.

Yes, but those were not my own words but a quote from the OP's posting at 11.38 !

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back