Is PTFE safe on a cooker?

I will disagree with you there steel purely from amount of leaks i attended when working for board few years down the line plenty of tape used but was pishing out and fittings were loose

Sponsored Links
I will disagree with you there steel purely from amount of leaks i attended when working for board few years down the line plenty of tape used but was pishing out and fittings were loose
Fitting loose then a parallel thread was used which required a fibre washer or shoulder.
I don't recall two types of PTFE years ago 112??...over the last 20 odd years the PTFE has got thinner and thinner so they decided to manufacture a thicker tape for gas....fook me it's the same thickness we used 30 odd years ago on gas and water..;)
Do you remember using two types of PTFE tape years ago?..cos I don't..
Gas tape is a one wrap jobbie , normal tape then wrap a good few turns...;)
I use locktite now but used PTFE for years..

Only saying what i found steel and it wasnt parallel threads , same as some people used ptfe then coated it with paste , fek knows why but Watson house sent a bullitine out around 30 years ago saying all 3 reacted with each other causing tape to disintegrate

Last edited:
Yep , we had to rip out a load of steel gas pipe in a factory due to paste and PTFE being used.
Back in the late 70's PTFE tape was as thick as the gas tape we have today..

Sponsored Links
I agree, even in my short career PTFE has gone to being as thin as politicians credibility. Always called gas tape One Wrap too, but never trusted it with a single wrapping.

Loctite 55 was a revelation when I found it.

Steel i remember as an apprentice doing industrial meters and two inch pipe in the workshop . Tested up and it was pishing out . thought how the fek i cant tighten it any more then i smelt it one of mates had mixed my paste with barrier cream . They were all pishing themselves laughin at me getting bubbles at every joint

You would'nt have have missed the barrier cream...............................

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back