Urgent: Gas Cooker Installation Question.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had a cooker with Gas hob fitted. I noticed the guy didn't put a washer in the new flexible hose.

This seemed odd to me, I'd had a good look at the old cooker and pipe which was pretty much identical to the new one (Bayonet 1 end, apparently 1/2 or 3/4 inch BSP the other) and that clearly had a fibre washer in it.

So I asked if it needed a washer. He said that it didn't, he'd used ptfe tape and he'd be pressure checking it all (which he did and it clearly wasn't leaking).

I didn't have much thinking time and I let him finish the job and go without making an issue of it.

I've looked at the old pipe a second time and it definately has a (probably) 1/2 Inch BSP fibre washer. Now I've have time to reflect I reckon there should be a washer at the join between the pipe and the cooker, gas tight or not.

I haven't paid yet and I can also use Check-A-Trade as a lever to make him come back and do it so I'm not worried, I just want the job done right.

So is he wrong or right?

Sponsored Links
It all depends on the type of connection involved.

If it relies on a screwed connection then PTFE tape is fine.

I think you should have more trust in the registered engineer to do it properly.

Tony

well i agree with agile but think that maybe you should have been asking the question of the person you employed not coming on forum checking him out especially when you mention have not "paid him yet and can also use check a trade as a lever" so you had cooker fitted bargain basement price using check a trade you then asume this tradesman has not done it right.Maybe i am wrong but being a gas fitter myself i know i dont want clients like you .

peekay53

we all make mistakes thats why they put rubbers on pencils

Sponsored Links
Unbelievable. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: , trying to find any excuse not to pay.

Why wasn't the RGI paid when the work was completed? , you wouldn't catch me leaving an invoice to be paid at a later date , payment on completion of works simples.

It all depends on the type of connection involved.

I think you should have more trust in the registered engineer to do it properly.

Tony

Thanks Tony, looks like "no washer" is correct.

I guess the previous installer shouldn't have put a washer in, but that would be many years ago & long before my ownership.

Excellent news.

Doesn't say much for Check A Trade if you have to check twice. :rolleyes:

Might just as well have taken pot-luck in the Yellow Pages.

Do I get the impression that you were over his shoulder watching him work. One of my pet hates!!

Detest this, one of the most annoying aspects of the job. You wouldnt sit in an office and expect your manager to stand behind you for your entire shift.

I've just had a cooker with Gas hob fitted. I noticed the guy didn't put a washer in the new flexible hose.

This seemed odd to me, I'd had a good look at the old cooker and pipe which was pretty much identical to the new one (Bayonet 1 end, apparently 1/2 or 3/4 inch BSP the other) and that clearly had a fibre washer in it.

So I asked if it needed a washer. He said that it didn't, he'd used ptfe tape and he'd be pressure checking it all (which he did and it clearly wasn't leaking).

I didn't have much thinking time and I let him finish the job and go without making an issue of it.

I've looked at the old pipe a second time and it definately has a (probably) 1/2 Inch BSP fibre washer. Now I've have time to reflect I reckon there should be a washer at the join between the pipe and the cooker, gas tight or not.

I haven't paid yet and I can also use Check-A-Trade as a lever to make him come back and do it so I'm not worried, I just want the job done right.

So is he wrong or right?

Thankyou for your worthy enquiry,

I suspect that a good many members of the CC (gas club), might suggest that you be taken outside and shot in front of your children.

I'm deeply sorry you felt the need to question the competency of your local engineer, which then begs the question, why employ him in the first place?

Oh, but I forgot, you got the job done for a pittance, from some scabby website. :evil:

Tony

Hope it was the yellow gas PTFE Tony ;)

Oh and if you were that worried about the cooker why didnt you mention the problem to the fitter instead of checking online with people you have never met?

Great, the cooker end is a screwed connection, so no washer is right. Panic over.

I've only got access to the old one which is something like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/standard-...Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area2&_requestid=1620956

Trust, but verify.

Has already been stated ptfe or a thread sealing compound is fine you would not use a washer, its a taper thread (equivalent of a BSP thread) whats a washer going to do here ? nothing. the correct way for it to work is to form a seal on the thread. period. Pay the man why didn't you pay him when the job was done.

Great, the cooker end is a screwed connection, so no washer is right. Panic over.

I've only got access to the old one which is something like this:

http://www.screwfix.com/p/standard-...Search-_-SearchRec-_-Area2&_requestid=1620956

Trust, but verify.

Has already been stated ptfe or a thread sealing compound is fine you would not use a washer, its a taper thread (equivalent of a BSP thread) whats a washer going to do here ? nothing. the correct way for it to work is to form a seal on the thread. period. Pay the man why didn't you pay him when the job was done.

Cooker manual says Rp, internet says that's parallel, not tapered. Or are the parallel ones still slightly tapered?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back