Connector for gas hose to cooker

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a new gas cooker requiring installation. Don't worry I won't be attempting any gas cooker installation myself but I'm expected to supply the parts and a Gas Safe engineer will be doing the rest for free (long story). It won't be possible to consult the engineer, I just have to figure out the parts myself.

My gas cooker pipe is already in place with a bayonet fitting, and I've got the standard cooker hose plus safety chain with fittings. The only thing I'm not sure about is which connector to purchase to connect the hose to the cooker. My cooker itself has a flanged connection with a 1/2" female back nut. After a bit of research I think I need a a converter from 1/2" female to 1/2" parallel male (iron elbow) and a washer to seal the join, would that be right?

Trouble is I can't seem to find an iron elbow with a male BSPP online - they all seem to be tapered. Am I barking up the wrong tree? I'm no expert so would appreciate being pointed in the right direction, in fact links to products would be great. I assume the engineer would have washers but if he doesn't, it sounds silly but what washer do I need to get, would it be something like this:

http://www.partridgeshadleigh.co.uk...-p-4941.html?zenid=8cipeio8dgd2m7tbrbnpbkh1n2

Thanks if you can help.

Sponsored Links
Installed for free but have to work the parts out yourself?!

Other one has bells on.

Gas Engineer would do job start to finish and just charge you for the
parts if they were doing it for free.

Don't worry yourself too much about it , whatever fittings you are short of i'm sure the guy fitting the cooker will have them on the van.

That's not really helpful, dcawkwell. It's actually a rather unique situation and it is true, but I honestly don't care if you believe it or not and it's pointless to make something up like that. By the way I have NO intention of installing the cooker myself if that's what you're thinking as I am a complete amateur and it would be dangerous, but I just would like someone helpful to point me in the right direction. Thanks if someone can actually help!

Sponsored Links
Thanks gaswizzard, gas engineer is actually coming to my home to fit a new boiler - the gas cooker is just an informal favour from his employing company who are carrying out extensive renovations in my property. The company said that if I had all the parts for my cooker installation they'd be willing to do me this favour - my understanding is that they're not going to go out of the way to do so which is fair enough. The gas engineer's main instruction is to put in a new boiler, so is it likely that he will be carrying around a spare hose-to-cooker connector in his van when he's not actually been instructed by his employers to get cooker installation parts for me?

why do you think he will not have basic fittings that are used in everyday gas work not just on cookers??

I wish i had really helpfull customers like this who sourced all the bits for me on an internet forum instead of if thats what i wanted i would have told them what i wanted when i spoke to them during the long story :rolleyes:

^ I don't know what you mean, I haven't spoken to the gas engineer yet as he's not come yet. My understanding from his employers is that when the engineer does come round to do the boiler he'll also connect my cooker if I already have the parts at hand - this is an informal favour and not a formal job.

Funny, I asked what is apparently a simple question about a "basic fitting" for some people (I wouldn't know because I already said I'm no expert) but I got anything but the answer in several posts ??? Thanks!

^ I don't know what you mean, I haven't spoken to the gas engineer yet as he's not come yet. My understanding from his employers is that when the engineer does come round to do the boiler he'll also connect my cooker if I already have the parts at hand - this is an informal favour and not a formal job.

Funny, I asked what is apparently a simple question about a "basic fitting" for some people (I wouldn't know because I already said I'm no expert) but I got anything but the answer in several posts ??? Thanks!

the reason you never got the parts list you require is obvious, to us if not you, you mentioned it would be pointless maj=king the post up, no it wouldnt if you intended to fit the cooker yourself, but you arent so its no prob, it isnt much of a favour from the boiler installer company to say they will fit for free if you have the parts, as 1) you dont know what you need and 2) it would be far cheaper for them to source the bits for you,
let us know how the guy gets on fitting it, and make sure as its done as a favour that it is being done by the firm (free or not) as you need someone with PLI in case anything goes wrong, if they say the guy will fit it while hes there and something goes wrong you will have no recourse for the install as they will say "what cooker?"

I ssuspect that you are not getting help as the request is a litte odd. If the RGI is registered for cookers, (and many RGIs are not, including me) he would carry at least the basics. If he is not registered, he should not do it - informaly or otherwise!

Also, I haven't come across a cooker with a connection as you describe. It is normally prepared with a 1/2"F BSP into which you fit a standard hose.

What is the make and model?

Surely the RGI will come to fit the boiler and he can tell you what he needs if its something he has not got with him and you can pop out and get it ???

It seems a very difficult to believe story and people will go to amazing lengths to save themselves £55 pounds getting something done by a professional.

Tell you what, if you text me your address and I am close by then I will call in free and tell you what is needed!

An offer you cannot refuse if you are genuine!

Tony

Two questions come to mind.

Who is doing the gas work associated with removing the old kitchen, re-piping it again, and doing the necessary tests and checks.

Second this is a new cooker, who is commissioning the cooker.

I would expect the plumber to make several visits over the course of the job.

I can totally understand the situation as it has just happened to me also.

I had a Rayburn. Rayburn broke and obviously the boiler is inside the Rayburn is in the kitchen downstairs.

I am having a new modern combi boiler fitted upstairs and dumping the Rayburn.

Which he has half done as its a 2 day job. My cooker is due next weekend.

I asked the guy if he would not just put a cap on the gas pipe left downstairs as I am expecting a cooker to be delivered and in preparation for that event would he put a bayonet fitting on the end so that it was ready to just pop the cooker in.

My neighbour is back from hols next weekend and will check everything as he is a heating engineer. I don't know him very well and don't like to ask too much of him although he has offered help in the past. The only reason I haven't had him do the boiler installation is that he is booked up, he is away and I don't like hassling/asking favours that would put him out as he has his own life to worry about. And I also needed it straight away as the Rayburn was leaking all over the place .

I asked the guy that was fitting my boiler and he said he didn't mind doing it but hasn't got the parts" and that if I got the parts he would do it for me. I took that as ......."I really cant be bothered"

So in order to get him to do that I now am frantically searching for the parts.

So you see .....perfectly plausible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back