First Post/ Gas/ Cooker/ Boiler/ no idea. Gas Safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
steelmasons,

And ... ?

What is the point of your question? And why?

If you, perhaps, claim to be an experienced gas registered, then why didn't you ask the OP the questions, & make the observations & suggestions that i did?

Sponsored Links
steelmasons,

Yes?

What is the point of your question? And why?

It was more so a statement so not a question.

If you, perhaps, claim to be an experienced gas registered, then why didn't you ask the OP the questions, & make the observations & suggestions that i did?

I haven't claimed to be gas registered nor have I claimed to be experienced .............and I certainly wouldn't have ill informed the OP as you have done.

Where, and how, was the OP "ill informed"? I dont consider, for instance, that stretching a point on electrical safety is ill information. And, as noted above, "risk assessment" of potential danger by water or physical damage is in the Regs.

So.What was the point of your statement? ( AKA a snide remark if you dont openly say what is implied in the remark)

FWIW: I give you the courtesy of using your forum name, and you respond with ignorance. Quote: "Yes?"

The gas pipe isn't great, a above ground rerun will solve that. As for the cooker, have it serviced, its more than likely there's a internal leak if your smelling gas, blocked injectors, blocked taps if the burners aren't igniting.

Sponsored Links
The bayonet fitting needs to be correctly positioned. Perhaps replaced with a side strapper.
Should be NCS (not to current standard) on the report.

Whys that then? , possibly installed for an angled hose?

That gas isolator valve should be replaced with a modern gas isolator valve. NCS.

Really?

Don't test me DanO (great tune that Hawaii five O with Steve Mcgarrett) , daughter asked if I would take her to 'clown town' this afternoon , must admit your postings came to mind. :LOL:

'Side strapper'? , you mean 'back/side plate elbow surely? ;)

Why does it need a isolator? The bayonet is self sealing :D

Anyway it's too close to the ground, the hose will be on the ground, should hang nice a loose, not half under the appliance, and who puts a plug on the floor, and no isolator that I can see within easy reach? Spill a pan and BANG! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Why does it need a isolator? The bayonet is self sealing :D

Anyway it's too close to the ground, the hose will be on the ground, should hang nice a loose, not half under the appliance, and who puts a plug on the floor, and no isolator that I can see within easy reach? Spill a pan and BANG! :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Update 2: We have decided to buy a range cooker near Christmas due to price drop, also a mechanic we know has agreed to allow us to use his b&q card to get 15% off the cooler/ oven. This will allow us to cover the cost of the work he will carry out, I will be sharing these posts with him before he does any work in December.
Thanks

I will be sharing these posts with him before he does any work in December.

Sharing the posts with who? , the guy installing your range? , no disrespect but if I was called out for any gaswork and the customer refered me to an internet forum then I would charge you for the time wasted , add the fact that your range would still be in it's wrapper when heading off to my next job.

tom1981,

quite right, an isolator is not required with a bayonet fitting. I was wrong.
However, that type of isolator is notorious for leaking and we always remove or replace them. BCO's and Housing Assn's and council contract super's want them out.

I didn't mention the height, or position, of the bayonet fitting because i didn't know what the MI's recommend.

I cant see if the the socket isolator is accessible, but, of course, it must be.

steelmasons,

The bayonet fitting is pointing in the wrong direction, it should run parallel with the wall.

sidestrapper is the common trade term for that fitting.

And thats it? The best that you can do for the "ill informed" project?
I'm afraid that i am used to talking to tradespeople who step up with technical knowledge.

I'm so sorry that when your argument has failed you resort to hiding behind weird attempts at personal insult.

FWIW: mechanic was a general term of respect for any tradesperson until probably pre-1939. I've noticed it occasionally still being used in the flooring trade.
Its widely used in the above sense in the USA.

We still refer to mechanical fittings and practices without intending to refer to the particular trades of vehicle mechnic or engineer.

steelmasons,

sidestrapper is the common trade term for that fitting.

Side wall plate or back plate is the correct term used , try walking into the local merchants and asking for a "sidestrapper". :rolleyes:

I'm afraid that i am used to talking to tradespeople who step up with technical knowledge.

I doubt you know the 'true' meaning of the word. ;)

I'm so sorry that when your argument has failed you resort to hiding behind weird attempts at personal insult.

Yea sorry about that. :p

FWIW: mechanic was a general term of respect for any tradesperson until probably pre-1939. I've noticed it occasionally still being used in the flooring trade.
Its widely used in the above sense in the USA.

We still refer to mechanical fittings and practices without intending to refer to the particular trades of vehicle mechnic or engineer.

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Hey DanO , just spat me tea all over the keyboard. :LOL:

What's the point of this?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back