Quick price check - South East

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey,

Been quoted £860 + VAT for this lot.

House:
To disconnect existing mains and install a new consumer unit complete with individual RCBO’s
To install a new main earth bond to water supply (7/8m cable run)
To supply and fit a replacement earth strap to the gas main
To install a 20 amp supply to shed

Shed:
To install a new consumer unit complete with individual RCBO’s
To install a twin socket above work top
To install a single socket below work top for tumble drier
To install a twin IP rated socket external
To install 2 no LED strip lights in shed

The house is 7 RCBOs, and I think he said the shed was 3 RCBOs (1 for internal sockets, 1 for internal lights, 1 for outside sockets). If TLC is anything to go by the CUs, RCBOs, SWA and T+E are approaching £500 alone.

I don't know what brand the CUs are.

Sponsored Links
Hey

How will the electricity get from the house to the shed. Is it wireless electricity ;)

Does the quote include certification and notification to the local authority?

Do you have electricity in Kent now? Blimey!

Sponsored Links
sounds like a fair price to me, that's quite a bit of work. £200 of that would only cover the testing and commissioning.
Providing you get a certificate to cover all the work done of course.

... albeit 20A seems pretty modest given that one of the loads is said to be a tumble dryer!

Kind Regards, John

would you recommend more? The tumble dryer would be used sparingly, the inside socket for charging power tools and the outside socket for cutting the grass.

very unlikely all 3 together.

... albeit 20A seems pretty modest given that one of the loads is said to be a tumble dryer!
would you recommend more? The tumble dryer would be used sparingly, the inside socket for charging power tools and the outside socket for cutting the grass. ... very unlikely all 3 together.
Human nature being what it is, it is quite common to find that, a year or ten down the road, one 'suddenly discovers' the need for a lot more electricity in an outbuilding. Given the hassle of installing SWA, I would personally install SWA cable of handling a lot more than 20A, just to keep my future options open. If 20A is enough for your present needs, it could be fed by a 20A MCB now - but that could always be changed in the future - provided the SWA was adequate.

Kind Reegards, John

Idleness and "not being bothered to do the paperwork" are two of the immedaite reasons I can think of.

Make sure that notification AND certification of the works is included in the quote, then you can insist these are done before you part with the final ££

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back