Quick Question About Plastering

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Just about to start plastering the side of my window which is currently bare brick. Should be a pretty straightforward job as it's literally about 6 inches wide and so many feet tall. I've got a few techniques to use too, but the problem is, I've bought a 5kg bag of portland cement for the render coat (1st coat) and finishing plaster for the skim coat. Is it possible to use cement and sand for the render coat or do I really need to use plaster? I will be papering ontop when all dry.

P.S. How long do you reckon I have to wait for the sand and cement (if I can use this of course) to dry before applying the skim coat?

Been a while since DIYing so I feel I have lost some previous knowledge :cry:.

Cheers :).

Sponsored Links
Forget the cement. Use carlite backing plaster then skim with :rolleyes: 2 coat plaster

Thanks guys.

Oh? :eek: so cement and sand will not work for such a small job? :( I was rather hoping it would :(. I mean it's only going to have a bit of wallpaper over it afterwards :confused:.

Sponsored Links
Tozzy said:
Thanks guys.

Oh? :eek: so cement and sand will not work for such a small job? :( I was rather hoping it would :(. I mean it's only going to have a bit of wallpaper over it afterwards :confused:.

I don't see why you can't use a render mix if you've already bought it all.

EDIT - noseall got there first....

noseall said:
yes, sand & cement render will work.

That's exactly what I wanted to hear :D. Just a lot easier because I can combine with another job I'm doing and mix the whole batch in my Belle cement mixer:cool:.

Cheers!

brist said:
u can use cement . Carlite is quicker and about £5 a bag.

Well it's only a teeny weeny job so cement will be perfect :D and I can combine this job for when i set my tiles (another job) in the cement I will be using. Portland cement was a little cheaper than the carlite. Ah ok it was only 5kg lol, but ah well.

The thing with plaster is I've never used it before whereas with cement I'm really confident in mixing it and using. I know exactly what to expect when I use it and how much to use. That's the thing with me I guess, I don't like change :cry:.

Ok, lets carry on DIYing! :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back