Quick question about pump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Looking for a bit of advice from someone who knows....

Heating packed up a couple of days back, initially the boiler lit and after about 2 mins switched itself off.

Went and played about with thermostats etc but didnt make a difference, so went to the pump, it was set to 2, so I turned it to 3. Miraculously it came to life and began buzzing away.

By this point it was late at night and I was knackered so went to bed and turned the heating off again.

Got up the next morning and problem was back, no heating and lukewarm water.

Managed to get a bit of time to look at it in more detail today, the pump is not buzzing, have taken the screw off and checked to see if the impeller (?) is moving and its not, cleaned it as per a suggestion on a website and its appears to be turning freely manually.

So my question is, does it sound to someone who knows like it is knackered and needs repaced. I was just looking to be a bit more confident that I was doing the right thing before I go out and buy a new one.

Is there anything else that I should check first?

Any help welcomed!

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the pump's had it. You could fiddle around a bit more but the simplest thing is to fit a new pump, assuming it's a standard CH pump and not a special one that's integral with a combi boiler.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back