Broken Pump - Can it damage the boiler?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an oil fired heating system. My radiators went cold last night. I went down to the boiler and it was running but I couldn't hear any noise from the pump but the boiler was running. The feed from boiler to pump was roasting but the feed out of the other side pump was lukewarm.

I turned it all off.

This morning I turned it on for about ten minutes but the boiler did not fire at all.

I suspect the pump is broken but could a broken pump also cause the boiler to get damaged too? It couldn't burn itself out or something could it?

Sponsored Links
Your boiler may have an overheat device which requires a manual reset. It's unlikely to have done any damage. Boiler make, model?

The boiler is a Grant 70/30. I got up this morning (everything cold) and turned on heating the boiler kicked in and started as normal. I turned it straight back off as the pump wasn't spinning. But at least this makes me believe the boiler is fine. I guess it did have a overheat and that is what kicked in.

However may I ask, if I decide to change to a condenser boiler what would be a suitable boiler to replace the one I have? Any recommendations?

Have you spun the pump?

See the FAQ on this site!

Tony

Sponsored Links
Usually you have to press a reset on overheat .isolate the pump with the two valves take out the pump if it needs replacing do it refit and when you open the two iso valves undo the middle screw on the pump to let the air out of the pump make sure pressure ok then start

I don't think I really want to fix the pump. I think it needs replaced with a bigger one anyway. When it was working all radiators heat up full so long as they aren't all on (so no air blocks) but when they are all on the last three in the line do not heat fully.

So would I be right that a more powerful pump could sort this out by pushing the hot water in the system round faster?

Removed due to recent post resurrecting old thread being spam/troll!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back