Twin Impeller shower pump broken?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I recently lost all pressure to my downstairs shower.

I have been having problems for a couple of weeks where the shower temperature slowly gets colder. I think the thermostatic control may be damaged as the dial turns constantly in either direction, although the temperature can still be controlled to a degree.

The other day the pressure went and while doing some testing I noted smoke coming from the pump.

I'm not sure whether the pump is broken, or just has a dry cavity, or there is a problem with the feeds. Additionally I do not want to replace the pump if a problematic thermostatic shower valve could cause damage to the new pump.

Any advise on how I can diagnose the issue would be appreciated!

Sponsored Links
turn off pump at mains, disconnect outlets and run them into a bucket. turn on mains- for a very short time. should be able to tell if pump or shower is gone. my money on pump. twin impeller? around a ton.

£100 for a shower pump?

Well yes, for a cheapo plastic one.

But a quality pump like a Stuart Turner will be about £400+ and thats just to buy it !

Most pumps will run happily into a no flow outlet.

Sounds like the OP has a failed pump and a failed shower unit!

Tony

Thanks for the input.

I suspect I have broken shower and pump. I'll test the pump tonight and as suggested above and see whats what.

Sponsored Links
OK so pump replaced and shower was OK for about 2 days, by OK i mean better than before but still not very hot. Anyway, the hot water seems to have petered out entirely.

I have tested the feed from the hot water tank to the pump (into a bucket) and there is plenty of pressure.
I have disconnected the thermostatic valve at the shower end and run the water straight through, bypassing the pump and I just get a dribble at the shower end. I cant even blow through the pipe. I've stripped it back to the non-return valve but from there the pipe disappears under the floor.

Any ideas? I suspect a blockage as found a load of black gunk in the non-return valve. However, from reading other threads could it be an airlock?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back