Quick question Gas cooker pipe????

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hiya,

Quick question. we need a new cooker - we currently have an electric one but want to swap to gas.

There is a pipe in the gap and it has a bung in it about 2 cm inside the pipe. Is this a cap?

The pipe is metal and comes out of the wall in a sort of u shape. The bung is round and has a hexagon metal shape in the middle of it?

will the plumber take the bung and connect the cooker?

I am just worried that gas doesnt run to that pipe anymore and its going to get complicated! I have gas central heating which is fine.

Thanks in advance

Amy

Sponsored Links
It probably is a gas pipe that has been capped but your Corgi will check before fitting.

If it is dead (unlikely) he will run you a nice new supply pipe for a very modest fee I'm sure. :D

Hiya,

Thanks for your reply.

I am having fitted by the shop I bought it from so hopefully it isn't dead.

I am convinced it is a gas pipe as its in the cooker gap etc and cant think of anything esle it could be a pipe for. I am just baffled how they are going to get it out and it is pushed into the pipe etc.

If it was dead would it still be capped?

Apologies about the questions - I just get so panicked about plumbing and gas!

Thanks
Amy

If it was dead would it still be capped?

Might have been disconnected from the supply after being capped.

Follow the pipe back if you can and see if it connects to the distribution gas pipes.

Stop worrying madam! ;)

Sponsored Links
Hiya,

Sorry I just panic about things I know nothing about!

I am worried that the plumber from the shop will turn try and fit and they'll be no gas supply and as he is a contracted plumber I will have to get a local plumber to reconnect the line.

The pipe goes straight into the wall - would it be connected to the central heating pipes - I live in a 1900's terrace (and the heating system add boiler could do with updating (its on my long list)) and the kitchen is in the newest part of the house in an extension build in the 70's (I think).

The people who owned it before us did a real botch job with everything - therefore I have prepared for the worst :confused:

Sorry to ramble

Thanks once again
Amy

The pipe goes straight into the wall - would it be connected to the central heating pipes

If it's a gas pipe then no, it will not be connected to the heating pipes- :eek: Chill out, stop panicking, have a glass of wine or two and wait for the man and see what happens-but it's a gas pipe. :LOL: :cool:

I would check with the retailer that the fitting of a cooker bayonet is included in the 'fitting'.

Often all this means is connecting the cooker hose to the cooker and to an exisitng cooker bayonet.

Don't forget the safety chain.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back