Gas Cooker pipe problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are planning to redo our kitchen and I have a question about the gas cooker pipe. At present it sticks so far out from the wall that the free standing cooker will not fit flush with the units. Is there any way to rectify this? Can the pipe be moved so that it is in a cupboard or is that against regulations. I will of course be calling a corgi registered person for this job, but I was just curious to find out what the possibilites were while we are still in the planning stage. Thanks in advance

Jo

Sponsored Links
The cooker manufacturers specify a position for the bayonet fitting. It could be chased into the wall or swapped for a micro bayonet.

How far is it off the wall?

It should be no more than pipe clip distance.

Should be an easy job for an RGI rated to work on cookers ;)

Cooker MI's state where to position the gas connection, a RGI would site it as per them and if the gas pipe is way out of position, rectify it accordingly. You could fit a hob and have a built in cooker elsewhere, the options are endless ;)

Sponsored Links
Thankyou all for your replies! Answer to gas4u... the bayonet connector on the pipe sticks out 3 inches from the wall. It looks quite old, but then so is the kitchen its in, probably from the 60's lol. As soon as Ive lowered the ceiling, I'll get the corgi person in to have a sort out and make sure we are safe.

Jo

With micropoint flex and a flat backplate it can be reduced to sticking out to around an inch

Sounds as if it has been fitted with a standard 'outside tap' wall plate.

I always fit the flat wall plates and even with a standard bayonet fitting I do not think you will have any problems. I haven't as yet ;)

Thanx Dave, just nice to know what can be done. I have the kitchen planned. Next job is to lower the ceiling, theres a bit of plastering to be done and then I'll get the cooker pipe sorted. Should have a new kitchen soon! I dont really have much of one at the moment, just a few shabby base units that are falling apart and work tops that arent even secured. I dont think its been touched in over 40 years!

Jo

Can the pipe be moved so that it is in a cupboard or is that against regulations.

If you have a unit directly to the side then there is no reason why you cannot have the connection inside this cupboard, it must be accessible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back