Problem fitting range cooker with bayonet gas connection

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've got a Smeg range cooker with a gas bayonet fitting on a length of black pipe. It has a brass end with a pin in the centre and four holes.

The plumber has fitted a gas socket on the wall and left me to connect the cooker up. But the cooker fitting doesn't want to go into the socket for some reason. It appears to have a disc in the middle which the pin on the cooker connection hits.

Forgive my ignorance but do I need to a certain technique to connect the thing up? Or is there some sort of safety plug/cap to remove first (the gas is live).

Sponsored Links
The idea is the pin hits the disc then the gas goes up them four holes!

They can be quite stiff and usually requires both hands. Once its pushed in far enough you can twist and lock it.

If you female then id go back and connect it for you, if your male then get down the gym!

Well, I was trying to get the thing in at arms length over the cooker. I moved it out the way, gave the plug a firm push et voila - it connected and we're 'cooking on gas' :cool:

As for commissioning the range, it's been running before....anything I should check for?

Sponsored Links
All gas appliances when reconnected, and particularly after transportation, should be checked for gas leaks and safe operation.

I was going to say "its common sense" but then remembered that this is a DIY forum

Tony

Ahh, OK. I've checked the connector with soapy water - no bubbles and after 8 hours on no smell of gas :eek:

Thanks for the help!

Ahh, OK. I've checked the connector with soapy water - no bubbles and after 8 hours on no smell of gas

So I've been wasting my time with soundness checks, working pressure and safety controls tests all this time.

Nixt said:
Ahh, OK. I've checked the connector with soapy water - no bubbles and after 8 hours on no smell of gas

So I've been wasting my time with soundness checks, working pressure and safety controls tests all this time.

Like another poster said, this is a DIY forum ;)
But of course, if there is a set of tests that must be performed I'll get the CORGI fitter back in...

DIY or not it doesn't exempt anyone from the proper procedure.

Nixt said:

But of course. Glad to have someone to ask via this forum :D

Connecting and disconnecting a flexible cooker hose bayonet fitting is considered to be something that the householder can carry out for themselves. No tightness tests are required. Obviously if there is any suspicion of a gas leak (i.e. smell) then call in a Corgi, but otherwise don't worry, providing the bayonet fitting has engaged properly.

As for the gas range, if this is being installed in a new location (even if it's been in use elsewhere) it will need to be checked for appropriate clearances from combustible surfaces and adequate ventilation and gas pressure. I don't like the sound of the Corgi who just fitted the bayonet connector and left you to connect it up.

non-corgi peeps can "disconnect then reconnect" an "existing" appliance which is vastly different from connecting a new/second hand/relocated appliance as that is deemed necessary to have all checks carried out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back