Gas cooker bayonet socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Need some advice. Pulled my old gas cooker partially out yesterday as planning to get it replaced, wanted to see if floor underneath dirty etc. Thought I'd disconnect it from the bayonet socket so I could pull the cooker fully out, however no joy. I managed to pull the brass ring connector up but couldn't get enough leverage to twist and release the pipe. However it's now in a kind of no mans land, neither fully connected nor disconnected ... meaning no gas is getting to my cooker :( If I pull the brass ring up you hear the gas coming on (with cooker burner engaged) however when I let the ring go it slowly falls a couple of mm and the gas shuts off.

I'm not bothered about the cooker not working, I'll make do with my microwave and tabletop oven until a new cooker's ordered. However to keep everything right and ensure the installers safety, when I do order a new cooker and they start the installation, should I mention to them I attempted to remove the pipe from the bayonet fitment?

Also, part of the challenge I had was the current bayonet fitment isn't 75cm off the ground, that's the recommended height? It's lower than this, meaning I couldn't contort my body enough down the back of the cooker to get enough of a grip! Will the installer mention the lower fitment, or will they simply install as is?

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Cooker bayonets are excluded from gas "work".
At the moment the bayonet connection is not left in a safe condition.
I'd suggest you make up a wet soapy solution (do not use washing up liquid though) and apply it to the bayonet in order to allow the O ring seal to slide.
That way you should be able to free the hose and refit if necessary.
If you leave the hose disconnected apply the solution to the inside of the wall fitting to ensure the self sealing is actually sealing properly.
The purpose of the recommended fitting height from the floor is to ensure the hose when hanging down in its U shape does not touch the floor.
Depending on the cooker the wall fitting may require moving.

Sponsored Links
Never understood why we have not migrated from bayonet fittings to push to open style like air lines.
I remember working in a commercial kitchen and that is what we had, special ones for gas, but we also required a heavy chain on all appliances to the wall so you could not pull the oven and it would rip the connection off the wall without thinking about it properly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back