Mains gas supply pipe diameter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In the process of building an extension and needing to relocate the gas meter box and main supply pipe.

The house used to have a metal supply pipe that has since had a plastic one fitted inside more recently. I was advised that the pipe diameter may not be sufficient for the demands of a modern house (there is currently only a gas cooker in the house) - we will be installing a gas central heating system and cooker.

Question - what should the diameter of the supply pipe be and is it normal to have to upgrade this.

The new meter box runs right over the old pipe run so I'm hoping the cost of relocating the supply won't be too bad. Probably over optimistic but we'll see.

Cheers for any information.

Matt

Sponsored Links
Who gave you that advice? It would be extremely unusual for the incoming supply pipe to be undersized. As for relocation costs, that's something you'll need to take up with your supplier

incoming supply is probably fine, unless you're installing alot of gas appliances.

Relocating costs - plan for a grand, be happy with a bit of change.

Thanks for the comments. I raised the question as the gas pipe got split when digging the foundations and the repair guys thought it was a smaller diameter than normal which might not be suitable for a boiler and oven. Someone else I know seemed to think they were talking nonsense. The pipe is 25mm if I recall correctly.

As for relocation costs we are braced for some bad news. A grand sounds a bit steep though - the meter box is situated right over where the pipe runs. Will be interested to see how much they can justify.

Thanks again.

Matt

Sponsored Links
25mm is standard for an incoming main. A grand wouldn't be over the odds for reconnection, and they have you over a barrel as they know you need their services and can't go elsewhere...

if it's just been pushed through an old service it could be 20mm that's exactly what they have done around here

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back