Size of gas supply and restrictions?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am in the process of putting central heating into my house and getting to the stage of choosing a boiler and running the gas pipes through the house, which will supply a 30kw combi boiler and a gas cooker.

What diameter pipe should I use for the gas supply, the distance from the meter to boiler is about 17 meters.

I am also wondering if there are any restrictions on how close the gas supply can be to the central heating loop. I plan to run it inside trunking (150mm x 65mm) which I put into the concrete floor of the house and already has the flow and return running in it. Even though I plan to insulate the flow and return pipes I am concerned the heat from these pipes may affect the gas supply? Maybe I'm too paranoid!

Would really appreciate any advice

Sponsored Links
The advice from this forum would be to get a gas registered engineer to install the gas pipes and do the required aspects of installing the boiler!

Tony

I have just read the forum rules on Gas. My intention was to put the piping in place and then get a qualified plumber to test it and do the connections to the meter and boiler and do the boiler installation and commisioning.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I,d approach an installer first to see if he will connect to the pipes you installed,i suspect most people would only put in their own work.

I have just read the forum rules on Gas. My intention was to put the piping in place and then get a qualified plumber to test it and do the connections to the meter and boiler and do the boiler installation and commisioning.

Thanks

what you suggest would mean the commissioning engineer breaking the regs that he has to stick to as he is liable for the install if he signs it off, so if you get a reputable engineer he wont sign it off and if you do manage to get someone to sign it off after you have done gas work they are chancers who are risking their registration and your family, so are they really the kind of person you want working in your house? get a reputable person in to do the job properly for you, what you will save will be minimal, as the gas guy will do the gas work in half the time it takes you

Sizing of Gas pipes is a matter for someone who is Qualified to do so,
and as previous posters have informed you it is unlikely that anyone worth their salt would want to get involved in commissioning gas pipe work especially if it has been installed and burried in a floor duct where it cannot be inspected!!! no way hosay!! ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back