My gas pipe is touching the return pipe for CH

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is this dangerous, after a recent install of a combi boiler and looking at the pipework, most of which is old, only the boiler has been installed and pipework directly adjacent,

but under the floorboards I can see that the gas supply pipe is touching the flow pipe for central heating which get hot.
the layout has ben like this for a while, and a new gas pipe was not needed.

will this expolde or am I getting paranoid? and is this dangerous!! :eek: :eek:

Sponsored Links
yes your paranoid :D

no its not a problem. only a problem if pipes rub against each other when heating is on then a piece of hairfelt or similar could be put between to stop the iritating noise

Thanks for that,

I have arranged for hairfelt to be put on by the contractor, and I was also complaining about a clingink banging noise from near the boiler area, so you must be on the right path for a good piece of advice.

and I found out that gas ignites at 260 degrees celius or so, will the pipes ever get that hot, and how hot is that? :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

and I found out that gas ignites at 260 degrees celius or so, will the pipes ever get that hot, and how hot is that?

Well an electric oven goes to about 220deg celcius,so it is very hot.

But you needn`t worry the gas going through the pipes will be at normal room temperature.The water pipes are unlikely to ever get much above 65 deg celcius.

If they ever get up to 260 I`d advise you to abandon your house very,very quickly. :p

Sponsored Links
...but under the floorboards I can see that the gas supply pipe is touching the flow pipe for central heating which get hot.
the layout has ben like this for a while, and a new gas pipe was not needed.

says it all[/b]

I found out that gas ignites at 260 degrees Celsius or so, will the pipes ever get that hot, and how hot is that?

Water wont go to more than 100ºC under atmospheric pressure but theoretically, and its a ten million to one chance that your system under 3 bar of pressure could ever reach 143ºc which is still nowhere near. Also the solder would melt in the joints before it reached 260ºC.

Hi Dave

I take your point regarding 25mm from electrical cables, but I thought it was also from any other metallic services.

Andy. :)

Why landy?

electric cables could spark, what could a metallic surface do?

:)

I think you'll find the ignition temperature of methane (natural gas) is 580 degrees C / 1076 degrees F

Whoever told you its 260 degrees is a muppet.

Dave T

Natural gas ignites at 704 degrees c, butane at 500 and commercial propane at 530 deg c. So all in all I wouldn't worry too much about the flow pipe touching the gas pipe. ]

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back