Quick Question -McAlpine bath waste/overflow ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

After recommendations on here I ditched the Flomasta overflow and went with a decent McAlpine one.

Wow! The difference in quality is unreal!!

I have a quick question though regarding on how to tight the screw needs to be holding the waste together.

It comes with a plastic tool is hand tight as hard as I can ok?
Or do I need to insert something into the tool like a screwdriver as it dies have holes in in to allow extra force/pressure (like box spanner).

Should I also apply any silicone to all surfaces?

Plus I presume the rubber seal is the correct way. Ridges hit the underside of the bath.

Cheers.

IMG_9574.jpegIMG_9575.jpeg

Sponsored Links
I would go hand tight and a little nip up. No need for silicone unless it states it.

I was just watching ‘PlumberParts’ video guy on YouTube.

He was covering everything in silicone.

Same type waste with large compression overflow.

Sponsored Links
I think so, it’s been years since I’ve fitted one.

I tend to get the screw hand tight then use a large screwdriver (if the screw is round) or socket( if it's a hex) to nip up the centre screw. It's a feel thing but certainly no silicone on new stuff.

There’s a plastic tool to use with it as above.
In the instructions it states is only for the overflow part but it fits both.
It’s 15mm socket size, no chance any flat head would fit it.
I suppose the small holes in the sides are there to insert a small driver to nip it up after hand tight.

Thanks .

looked at the Selco baths today.
Awefull build quality and very thin with the waste hike being very irregular.
Went to a decent merchants who had much better ones at only £35 more.
I was considering adding my own fibreglass tbh as it would be simple enough as I have enough resin/450g matting and reactor to need it up properly.

It’s 15mm socket size, no chance any flat head would fit it.
I use a large Wera chisel plain screwdriver just on one side of it and then it's a 'knack' thing, that gives enough grip to get enough of a turn on it to nip the screw up enough.

Why not just use the tool that comes with it?
Fits it perfectly.

Why not just use the tool that comes with it?
Fits it perfectly.
If it does then fine, not all fittings come with a tool and I always use a screwdriver as described .... but if it comes with a tool that fits then that should be fine.

If the underside of your bath is rough enough, it'll leak, and sad to be needed, but silicone will save the day. Fernox LS-X and a few others are better because they peel off more easliy, but you shouldn't have to, ever.

That bush thing
1683501723380.png

is hexagonal ;) so get your sockets out, but yes, one tight not too tight.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back