Quick question

E

EddieM

I was doing a little bit of very minor electrics today, just replacing some faceplates. Anyway, I turned flipped the MCB for the downstairs lights, removed the light faceplate, checked the cables with my albeit cheap, but functional multimeter, changed the faceplate, no problem, but then when going to flip the MCB back on, I noticed the RCD had tripped??? Could testing the circuit with the multimeter have tripped it? or did I miss something?

Sponsored Links
Yes, if you connect Neutral and Earth the RCB will trip.
No neutrals, just lives and earth??
Depending on what sort of lamps/bulbs you have, when you've disconnected the live from the circuit (by operating the MCB), the 'live' feed to a lamp may effectively become a 'neutral' (due to the path through the lamp to neutral) - so touching that to earth could also cause an RCD to trip. That would definitely be the case with 'old-fashioned' filament lamps/bulbs, but with new-fangled ones (energy saving, LED etc.) it 'depends' (on what goes on inside the lamp/bulb).

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
If you have standard filament lamps, the switched lives at your switch will be at neutral potential when no power is applied to them.

So, forgive my stupidity, could I have received a shock? RCD notwithstanding.

I think all was well :D I am paraniod about electric shocks, after receiving a belter in my early teens :rolleyes:
Many/most of us have been there, most usually at that sort of stage of life, and it certainly can have a lasting effect on one's attitude to (and respect for) electricity, and therefore one's behaviour!

Kind Regards, John

I think all was well :D I am paraniod about electric shocks, after receiving a belter in my early teens :rolleyes:
Many/most of us have been there, most usually at that sort of stage of life, and it certainly can have a lasting effect on one's attitude to (and respect for) electricity, and therefore one's behaviour!

Kind Regards, John

Yep, guess I was lucky to be taught a very valuable lesson that day!

Yeah, whilst I don't profess to know a great deal about electricals (enough to know I don't know that much!) I was aware of the borrowed (shared) neutral scenario. Thanks for the reminder though.

But that gets picked up via safe isolation procedures - a shared neutral doesn't

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back