Quick sidepanel midrail question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm looking to replace my UPVC front door with a newer composite - currently UPVC door and frame, with a pair of 320mm glass panels on both sides with midrails.

I would prefer a thinner full-height glass panel either side of the door as I think it looks more modern and slick, but will the lack of midrails reduce the strength of the frame?

If it helps, overall opening size is 1600w x 2080h, was looking to get a 1000mm wide door but not sure if that would be too heavy for the frame, especially if it's not directly fixed to brick on the hinge side, or am I talking borrox?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
Ta for the response.

Are they all coupled these days? The current frame is an "all in one" by the looks of it, seems a cleaner look.

I'll check with the mfr about the coupler sizings and whether they can be upgraded, presuming the sidelights widths just need to be reduced by the appropriate mm).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Ta for the response.

Are they all coupled these days? The current frame is an "all in one" by the looks of it, seems a cleaner look.

I'll check with the mfr about the coupler sizings and whether they can be upgraded, presuming the sidelights widths just need to be reduced by the appropriate mm).

Thanks.

A coupler would add strength and reduce the bounce on both sides especially as the door closes over the brushpile fur draught excluder but a downside is it doubles up your frame thickness and if your only playing with a 300mm side panel it can look a bit over the top or over engineered, speak your supplier or fabricator about you concerns on bounce vs strength vs looks, it reallocation is a toss up

Thanks for the responses, I'll consider narrower door and wider side panels but will discuss with the vendor.

One more thing to further add to my question - the doorway has concrete lintels above (several in parallel in our case as it's a deep alcove) - do installers usually drill into them or best to avoid that and just hammer a lot of wedges in?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back