Quick vertical radiator question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
before xmas i took delivery of this radiator from B and Q

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1265492332384&isSearch=true

it came with no instructions, markings etc, just the necessary bits to fit.

i plumbed it in no bother, however on fireing the heating up i noted that the tubes 5,6,7 heated up much faster than the rest (counting left to right), and the whole radiator took a long time to full heat, i.e. 10mins minimum.

anyway, since then i have taken delivery of this radiator as we decided one wasn't enough (once it had warmed up lol)

http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/nav.j...refview=search&ts=1265492330777&isSearch=true

this radiator, despite being much much lighter than the first came packed in a wooden case, and on one of the tubes there was a sticker saying "top".

i plumbed this in today, and have noted that the tubes all heat up much much faster than its larger brother.

both are bleed correctly with no air in them, and despite the larger rad being large, other rads in the house of similar size heat up much faster.

people have commented that maybe it is upside down, what do you guys think? should i bother flipping it or just call B and Q and say its faulty?

note this quote from b and q.
Tube-in-Tube design provides greater heating surface area and minimised water-content means faster warm-up times

not in my case :(

please advise if you can.

Cheers
ian

Sponsored Links
:) worked in a restaurant in richmond park about 18 months ago were all of the tubed vertical radiators (10) were fitted upside down , some of them also have a dedicated end were the flow must go !

both are bleed correctly with no air in them

No they are not.

Tall verticals are hard to get all the air out and i can't really be bothered to type out the proceedure (google it) but start by shutting the valves down.

well i googled bleeding veritcal radiators and found nothing.

as i say it does heat up to silly hot just does it slowly in comparison to the other one.

why would one have a label for top if there isn't a right way round?

Sponsored Links
well i googled bleeding veritcal radiators and found nothing.

Well i'll be :eek: Something google doesn't know :LOL:

My apologies, i never read through the op properly, thought you had said was only heating in some tubes.

What size pipes feed the rad? It may not be getting enough water through quickly enough. The system may need balanced properly. Look in CH faq's to see how this is done

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back