Quickest solution for damp basement floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We’ve got carpet fitters coming round in a couple of weeks but we’re a bit concerned about our mildly damp concrete basement floor.

It’s been recently levelled and I’d like to use a bit of bitumen and be done with it.

My wife isn’t happy with bitumen paint (“too smelly”), rubber/bitumen compound (“too sticky”), or a membrane (“will make the floor sweat and rot it”). I think she hinting we dig up the floor which I’m not doing; I’d sooner buy new carpet every year.

I’m pretty sure somewhere in the Western world between the years 1800-2018 a damp concrete floor has successfully had carpet laid on it.

Can someone please reassure me that this counsel of despair is not right and that there is a quick and *adequate* way to damp-proof the floor?!

Sponsored Links
I’m pretty sure somewhere in the Western world between the years 1800-2018 a damp concrete floor has successfully had carpet laid on it.

Pretty likely.

Getting a short cut past the wife though.......you will never get away with it

Did similar 20 years ago - bitumen emulsion onto the concrete, plastic membrane directly onto the bitumen, underlay and carpet on top of that.
No problems in the 10 years between installing it and moving out of the property.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back