Quickest way to minimise damage from a leaking CH pipe/rad?

Sponsored Links
I did. My best guess is that it belonged under that shiny brass valve, if you might have undone that?
Thats what i undone yes, ive had a look and it possibly is, i just cant see any missing at all underneath so not sure how it would have filled the gap.

Sponsored Links
I did. My best guess is that it belonged under that shiny brass valve, if you might have undone that?
So if i turned that white valve clockwise would i be able to undo the brass nut to check the gasket and reseal it with some ptfe tape or will it **** water everywhere still given the white nut is attatched to the gold nut i think?

So if i turned that white valve clockwise would i be able to undo the brass nut to check the gasket and reseal it with some ptfe tape or will it **** water everywhere still given the white nut is attatched to the gold nut i think?

Release all the pressure, and you should then be able to remove the brass part and investigate where the rubber has come from, source a replacement form a plumbers merchant, fit it, repressurise, and then you can maybe stop worrying. PTFE is not a good solution to the problem, it would be a botch.

To release the pressure, just lay some old towels around, have a couple of bowls, plus possibly an assistant. Put a rag over the top to catch and direct the spray.

I see you have what looks like a ratchet there. Was it the brass bit that you undid using a socket?

I see you have what looks like a ratchet there. Was it the brass bit that you undid using a socket?
Yeh stupidly thinking that was the lockshield!

I think the tiny bit of rubber has come off from where the brass seals against the black plastic, as i have tightened it - it has squashed the remaining black rubber gasket to fill the gap and thats why its currently not leaking??

That sounds quite unlikely.
Thats the only place i imagine its come off from though, see this picture and it looks like there might be a black rubber gasket between the brass and the black plastic??

Attachments

• 20231107_214800.jpg
    20231107_214800.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 16
  • 20231107_214358.jpg
    20231107_214358.jpg
    264.1 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231107_214518.jpg
    20231107_214518.jpg
    256.6 KB · Views: 14
Well if it’s not leaking now and it’s under pressure, leave well alone!

Well if it’s not leaking now and it’s under pressure, leave well alone!
If i wanted to change a valve on this rad how would i do it?

From what i understand, the valve set i have is basically TRV's on both sides but only a TRV head for one side.

So how would i stop water flowing into the rad so i can change one of the valves? Drain the full system or can i somehow drain just this rad maybe?

To change any valve, you’d need to drain off the pressure then do a quick swap over. You’ll have a little leakage but as long as you have a towel down, it should soak up any small leaks. The system would need repressurising again afterwards of course.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back