Quickest way to minimise damage from a leaking CH pipe/rad?

Sponsored Links
But if i have 10 radiators that would be something like 100 + litres, i couldent imagine the damage that would cause
Think you’re over thinking it. In an open vented cylinder you could have 20,000 litres leak out while you are away for the weekend…..

Sponsored Links
Nor can you catch the leakage in a bucket, if you are not at home.
But it will eventually reduce/stop in a sealed system. If you had to choose between a sealed or an open system with a hole in it while you were away for the weekend, what system would you choose Harry?

Its a combi .........
So don’t worry about it. Have you got a leak? Are you expecting a leak? If it’s going to happen, there’s not a lot you can do about it to prevent it.

To give you some assurance, try topping your system up to its maximum pressure, if nothing pops apart or bursts before the PRV kicks in, you can be fairly sure that it’s not going to suddenly blow.

So don’t worry about it. Have you got a leak? Are you expecting a leak? If it’s going to happen, there’s not a lot you can do about it.

To give you some assurance, try topping your system up to its maximum pressure, if nothing pops apart or bursts before the PRV kicks in, you can be fairly sure that it’s not going to suddenly blow.
Yes ive made another thread, i stupidly untightened the incorrect nut rather than lockshield and it started spraying water everywhere, i managed to retighten but part of what looks like a rubber gasket came off, not sure where from, its been 24 hours and it looks ok so far just worried it might suddenly blow one day and i wont know how to stop it (closing the lockshield wouldent have helped in this case).

But it will eventually reduce/stop in a sealed system. If you had to choose between a sealed or an open system with a hole in it while you were away for the weekend, what system would you choose Harry?

Unless it were a major leak, such as a pipe being knocked off - an open vented, because the pressure is much less, in a normal domestic setting.

Unless it were a major leak, such as a pipe being knocked off - an open vented, because the pressure is much less, in a normal domestic setting.
Less, but constant. It doesn’t lessen when the internal pressure reaches zero.

So, a pressurised leak for a couple of minutes then drip, drip, drip possibly until the system is empty in a sealed system or a low, continuous flow of water from an unvented system until you get home, park up the van and open your front door?

Have you ever tried holding your thumb over an open pipe in your unvented low pressure system? There’s more than enough pressure there with an 8 metre head of water above it!

Ah, well, there’s no prevention for stupidity that I know of…… :ROFLMAO:
You think itll be okay if it hasent leaked since retightening or will it need refitting properly?

As mentioned a tiny piece of what looks like a rubber gasket appeared to pop off in the panic but i cant for the life of me see where its come from.

You think itll be okay if it hasent leaked since retightening or will it need refitting properly?

As mentioned a tiny piece of what looks like a rubber gasket appeared to pop off in the panic but i cant for the life of me see where its come from.
A photo would help

Attachments

• 20231107_214739.jpg
    20231107_214739.jpg
    191.5 KB · Views: 33
Have you ever tried holding your thumb over an open pipe in your unvented low pressure system?

Unvented, low pressure????

I have an open vented system which is quite easy to hold back the slight pressure. I have also held back the pressure of an unvented with my thumb, a little more difficult, but quite doable. I can also do it without much of a problem, on my mains plumbing, which I recently measured as a little over 2.2bar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back